Sunday, January 9, 2011

{ramblings}

Well, it's official. Busy season has now started. I'm trying to get myself mentally ready for the next 8-10 weeks, and not kill my diet with chocolate or treats in the process.

.....

This was just a week in the life--normal--but I love to document the every day, our daily comings and goings. Sometimes these are the best memories of all.

1. Kate has come up with two of our favorite family words--they were quickly adopted by everyone, even Rick and me. She calls stuffed animals "stuffies", and tater tots "teeter tots".
LOVE it.

2. Emma (and Kate) attended her first birthday party since her diagnosis. It was a huge success! They were going to Chuck E. Cheese (which they were super excited about, since it's not my favorite place), and having pizza and birthday cake. The birthday girl's mom is a very good friend of mine, and gave me the scoop on what kind of cake she was making. The afternoon of the party I whipped up her own gluten-free pizza, and her kind of frosted cupcakes (which were amazingly good--kudos to Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Cake Mix). She lit up like a Christmas tree when she knew she wasn't going to be "left out" (her words), and would get to have what the other kids were having. It was worth all the effort it took to make them, which really was no problem at all, it just required a little extra planning and preparation. They partied it up, and didn't get home until late that night. What a fun time they had!

3. I now make only one kind of pancakes...Emma's kind. After the kids tasted hers, they staged a rebellion, and let it be known they were far superior. I happen to agree--best pancakes I've ever had. One night, I made 40 pancakes, and with only the 5 kids eating, went through 35 of them. The babies each had 8, Emma had 7, and Kate & Ryan had 6 each. I know this happens with teenagers, but babies?

4. In my humble opinion, an 11:30am church time is WAY harder than 9:00am. It's not like I get to sleep in anyway, because none of my children realize that weekends are for that sort of thing. It's just harder to figure out meals, naps, when to get dressed, and the list goes on. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it again when my kids are a little older, but for now, it's the longest three hours of the entire week.

(before church entertainment...while girls are getting ready)




5. TWO more weeks until my babies are in nursery! We have taken them in for the last couple of weeks to see how they would do, and they LOVE it. Are you kidding? How could they not? They are all about the snacks, and I have a feeling the ward is going to have to up the snack budget. They won't know what's hit 'em.

6. Ever heard of Zingo? I play it at least 5 times a day...everyday. My girls got it for Christmas and it is hands down one of their favorite things. They can play it together, or I can play with them, and it keep them entertained for a long time. It has received multiple awards--nationally and internationally--and I can see why. They also received a puzzle, or rather a box 0f 26 puzzles--one for each letter of the alphabet--and it's been permanently out of the game closet since Christmas.





7. Is it too early to be ready for winter to be over?


8 comments:

luckyduck said...

I love the girls' outfits! I'd prefer 11:30 over 1 PM, which we just moved to this year.

Carn Family said...

No, it's not too early for winter to be over. Teeter tots...love it and we will have to give that Zingo game a try. I will thinking of you the next 10 weeks. Hang in there!

Andi said...

We loved Zingo at our house when Paige was about your girls age! Another favorite bingo is Puppy Pals bingo. It's probably too simple for your girls, but when your boys get older... Trey already likes the idea of it, even if he cannot completely play.

Mindy said...

I'm so with you on the 11:30 church thing...I don't think a worse three hour block could be picked for nursery age kids! I'll have to take a look at zingo...Jack would do nothing but play games all day if he could, I'm always looking for good ones.

Melanie said...

Agreed that 11 is bad... we're at 1 this year, and I like it even less. 9 is so good for lunch, nap & readying. We change on the school year, since we have a student ward in our stake, so I only have 7.5 months until the good schedule kicks in! Yes! I'll have to check out Zingo, too. =)

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lyndi said...

I'm going to have to get those games. The girls were so cute just playing away at volleyball today...I assume that's what they were playing with! And I wish I could be a fly on the wall in Primary with the boys in there now with everyone!

Yvonne said...

I agree about 11:30 church--HARDEST TIME.

I'm new to the gluten free thing. We had Heidi and Daniel's Winnipeg wedding reception and I found a place that made gluten free cupcakes. I ordered 1 dozen gluten free and they were beautifully marked, but somehow someone put a tag on a box of the mini cupcakes and Daniel ate one AND GOT SICK ; ( I did make gluten free cheesecake, using a pecan/sugar/butter crust and he loved those.

Good luck with the next few weeks.

I always counted down the days until my kids could go to Nursery--ENJOY.

Post a Comment