After being off for two weeks, Rick went back to work today, and we were back to real life once again. We worked hard the last week on several projects, and it was nice to check a few things off our list before busy season starts. I also tried to pack in things like hair appointments, errands, and buying as much craft stuff as I thought I needed for the next 2 months!
.....
I made a decision a little over a month ago to pull the girls out of preschool. Nothing was wrong--they loved school, the teachers, and their friends, but in the back of my mind, I knew it was right. The preschool is coop, which was great for several reasons--it was less expensive, which is especially important when paying for two kids, and it allowed me a glimpse into the classroom, and to observe my girls in that setting, which I love. It also meant having to "work" almost twice as much as the parents with one child, and finding someone to watch my boys each of those times. It wasn't always easy, in fact, finding a babysitter during the day can be quite difficult, and there were days when I wasn't sure until the last minute that I would have someone to watch them.
Mostly though, it was a very distinct impression that wouldn't leave my mind, and I knew I needed to act on it. I feel like my girls have had the least of my time out of all my children. I had years where it was just Ryan and me, but the girls were still really little when I was expecting the boys. I was down a lot during my pregnancy, and couldn't be as active as I would have liked, which meant less time for the them. Once the babies were born, so much of my time was spent just surviving, that I feel like I missed some opportunities to really spend time with and teach my girls the way I wanted to. Even just having them in preschool really affected the things we could do, and the places we could go, and also eliminated some other fun things that I would have loved for them to participate in.
In recent months I have really been struck by how fast my kids are growing up, and one of my worst fears is looking back 10 years from now, and wishing that I would have done more when I had the chance---when I had them home with me. Once they are in school full-time, that's it--they're gone every day, all day, almost all year long. I'm not going to say things don't get crazy, and often difficult with so many little ones at home, but I know it's right, and I feel peace about my decision.
.....
I have been greatly inspired by a good friend of mine that will be homeschooling her little boy, and has been really involved in teaching him and providing wonderful opportunities for him and her other children to learn and grow. She probably doesn't realize how much she has affected my outlook, and plan for my girls over the next months. I had a conversation with her just a few days after my decision, and though I knew it was the right one, I was still processing it all. I think the timing was fate, because I went away from it excited, and my mind spinning with ideas.
.....
Today was the first day of my new plan, and we had a such a wonderful day learning about nature. We headed to our local nature center, which has an absolutely fabulous learning center and observation areas. The girls looked at feathers through a microscope, analyzed the x-rays of many different animals, listened to nature calls, observed wildlife in the forest and river, read books, put together puzzles, learned about different skulls, and examined honeycomb. They begged to stay even longer than the 2 hours we were there, and honestly can't wait to go back. That's good, because we will be going once a week! Even the babies were entertained, especially by all the turkeys that stopped to say hello through the window.



When we left, the snow was falling, we were out in the middle of the most breathtaking wooded forest, and it was incredibly peaceful. That moment and the feeling that went with it was instantly filed away in my memory.
Even after only one day, I know it was the right decision.
.....
I made a decision a little over a month ago to pull the girls out of preschool. Nothing was wrong--they loved school, the teachers, and their friends, but in the back of my mind, I knew it was right. The preschool is coop, which was great for several reasons--it was less expensive, which is especially important when paying for two kids, and it allowed me a glimpse into the classroom, and to observe my girls in that setting, which I love. It also meant having to "work" almost twice as much as the parents with one child, and finding someone to watch my boys each of those times. It wasn't always easy, in fact, finding a babysitter during the day can be quite difficult, and there were days when I wasn't sure until the last minute that I would have someone to watch them.
Mostly though, it was a very distinct impression that wouldn't leave my mind, and I knew I needed to act on it. I feel like my girls have had the least of my time out of all my children. I had years where it was just Ryan and me, but the girls were still really little when I was expecting the boys. I was down a lot during my pregnancy, and couldn't be as active as I would have liked, which meant less time for the them. Once the babies were born, so much of my time was spent just surviving, that I feel like I missed some opportunities to really spend time with and teach my girls the way I wanted to. Even just having them in preschool really affected the things we could do, and the places we could go, and also eliminated some other fun things that I would have loved for them to participate in.
In recent months I have really been struck by how fast my kids are growing up, and one of my worst fears is looking back 10 years from now, and wishing that I would have done more when I had the chance---when I had them home with me. Once they are in school full-time, that's it--they're gone every day, all day, almost all year long. I'm not going to say things don't get crazy, and often difficult with so many little ones at home, but I know it's right, and I feel peace about my decision.
.....
I have been greatly inspired by a good friend of mine that will be homeschooling her little boy, and has been really involved in teaching him and providing wonderful opportunities for him and her other children to learn and grow. She probably doesn't realize how much she has affected my outlook, and plan for my girls over the next months. I had a conversation with her just a few days after my decision, and though I knew it was the right one, I was still processing it all. I think the timing was fate, because I went away from it excited, and my mind spinning with ideas.
.....
Today was the first day of my new plan, and we had a such a wonderful day learning about nature. We headed to our local nature center, which has an absolutely fabulous learning center and observation areas. The girls looked at feathers through a microscope, analyzed the x-rays of many different animals, listened to nature calls, observed wildlife in the forest and river, read books, put together puzzles, learned about different skulls, and examined honeycomb. They begged to stay even longer than the 2 hours we were there, and honestly can't wait to go back. That's good, because we will be going once a week! Even the babies were entertained, especially by all the turkeys that stopped to say hello through the window.



When we left, the snow was falling, we were out in the middle of the most breathtaking wooded forest, and it was incredibly peaceful. That moment and the feeling that went with it was instantly filed away in my memory.
Even after only one day, I know it was the right decision.
13 comments:
Congratulations on having the strength to do the hard thing and follow your heart. Your amazing!
You are brave, but I don't think you will ever regret spending time with your children. Especially, when they are only a few years away from being in school full time.
It sums up all the reasons and feelings why I have decided not to send my children to preschool...kudos to you!
There are few things so rewarding as discovering, exploring, and learning together. Those cherished moments make all the "hard work" well worth the effort-or at least keeps you going when it's hard :) I'm glad you love it too!
Good for you! It's a constant, difficult balance... more so in your situation, but one we all have to constantly reevaluate. I loved having Paige in preschool, but she was an only child at the time and I know you can understand that situaion and the need to let her spread her wings. I'm dreading next year with all day 1st grade. Half day kindergarton is perfect!
Good luck! :)
I'm so glad that it's working out and the girls are loving it and spending more time with you. It's such a wonderful feeling when you know you've followed a prompting and you can see the blessings immediately. Gabi misses the girls, but we'll just have to plan to get together on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Good for you for following the spirit. I am sure this will be a special time for you and the girls (and the boys) to be together. You are one great momma!
How amazing to feel the reward of that decision so soon. I'm sure both you and the girls will love all the extra time together over the next few months! Enjoy!
You are always such an incredible example of listening and then doing--I LOVE IT. You are so right on how quickly the time passes. Your children are so blessed to have been sent to such a wonderful home
It's great that you are making so many wonderful memories.
Ditto to all the above comments, especially "Jewels'" - I also think of how they are going to leave home for good, and if I send them to school earlier than Kindergarten, I'm speeding up the process of leaving the nest. I have loved every moment of having them at home with me, but then, also felt really good that a 3-mom co-op would be good for Derek. We called it Play School, because even though we learned a letter each week, it was geared to be 1/2 play date. That was one of the coolest things last year, and he loved it so much. I'm so happy for you, too, that you have so many great resources around you for stimulating experiences. As always, you're awesome. =)
LOVE IT! And I KNOW you won't regret doing it!
I have been absent in the blog world for quite some time now and it makes me sick to my stomach how much I've been missing out on!! Your kids are growing up SO quickly! They are all adorable! And you are still superwoman! So glad you're my inspirational friend, and I'll try to be a better blogger! :)
Post a Comment