One thing there isn't a lack of around here is Christmas lights. I've never seen so many houses decked out with lights and Christmas decorations, and it makes driving down any street or any neighborhood pretty exciting. I should really take a picture of the house across the street--we have quite the view from even our own front window!
I think it's because the weather isn't really the typical "snowy and cozy" kind of weather, and it's a way to actually see that it's Christmas. This morning (December 15th) my kids went outside in shorts and flip flops, and were totally comfortable. I'm still not used to it, but I sure was happy when my boys played outside for 2 hours yesterday while I cleaned the house!
Last night was our ward party, and I really liked how laid-back it is. I always prefer the parties where the focus is on talking and socializing, rather than a program, where it's a struggle to keep your kids still. The kids had a great time, ate a ton of treats, and we all left happy.
After the party we weren't quite ready to go home, so we headed to Market Street in the heart of The Woodlands, where the lights are in abundance, especially around the ice skating rink. (Yes, you read that right, lol!) We walked for quite awhile, up and down the cute streets lined with lights, and into the open park area, where there is a second huge tree, and a huge space for kids to play. It was a beautiful night, there were so many people strolling around, horse-drawn carriages were going by, and it was just all very Christmas-y.
I have to admit, it's been a lot harder for me to get in the Christmas spirit than it usually is. It's amazing how much the weather has contributed to my perception of Christmas, and I'm really missing the snow and chilliness of the season. It's funny, because I grew up where it was really warm, with very similar temperatures to here. After so many years in Michigan, those years were pretty much erased, so it's now feeling very foreign. Last night was something I really needed, and it really was perfectly Christmas-y.
We have some really fun plans in the works for the next couple of weeks, and I'm looking forward to a very Merry Christmas!!!














5 comments:
If it makes you feel any better there is NO snow here and it was 50 degrees today. You are not missing much so far! Looks like you are making some new Christmas traditions in your new town.
Looks similar to our ward party this year! Very low key. We had a pancake dinner! Love the pic of you and Ryan. Can you please send me your address again. I lost your address when I was hacked last month. It was in my
oops! It was in my e-mail file and I lost everything! Thanks! Kelleyn
Kelleyn-- I e-mailed you!! XO
Sad. Makes me want you guys back here even more. Glad you had a great night and hope there are many more Christmas-y nights in the next week :)
Post a Comment