Sunday, December 2, 2012

{o christmas tree}

I was really worried when we moved to Texas that we wouldn't be able to still enjoy one of our most favorite Christmas traditions...cutting down our own tree.  It's something we've done as a family for many years, and we all look forward to it every year. I honestly can't even imagine having a fake tree--a real one is so much a part of our Christmas experience and we would all be so sad to give it up.

Well, we were blessed with our own little miracle, and lo and behold, there is a darling Christmas tree farm not very far from us!  We always go the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but this year we were still in Florida.  Rick had to go out of town as soon as we got back, so we went this past Saturday when he got home.

I have to say, it was a little weird cutting down a tree in 80 degree weather, wearing shorts and flip flops. I really missed the bundling up in hats and gloves, snow on the ground, and warming up with hot chocolate, but I was just so glad to be there, I was willing to overlook the not quite traditional atmosphere.

We took a hayride out to the trees, and started looking.  Due to the weather here, there are really only two trees that grow well in the heat and humidity.  That really narrowed it down, lol.  I liked the look of one of them better, but preferred the smell of the other, and it was proving to be quite the process. I wasn't looking for perfection (really), but I did have certain requirements.  :)

After taking a break at an enormous tree house in the middle of the farm, and lettings the kids play for awhile, we finally found the one!










On our way home we stopped for ice cream. 

 It wasn't hot chocolate, but it was the start of a brand new tradition.  

4 comments:

likeschocolate said...

So glad you were able to find a place to get your tree!

James and Talai Macfarlane said...

Ice cream is just as yummy as hot chocolate :) Great new tradition!

Erica said...

love it - you'll just have to come home to our house to experience the 'cold weather' traditional christmas :)

Mimi said...

How fun that you can still chop your own tree! I'm so jealous of your weather right now. We're heading west soon for three weeks, though...I can make it! And I agree with Talai -- ice cream is even better than hot chocolate!

Post a Comment