Thursday, May 16, 2013

{mother's day}

This was probably the busiest, most crazy Mother's Day I've had yet--but only until noon. 
When you have church starting at 8:30am, and need to be on the road with six kids and a baby by 8:10am, there really isn't time for a luxurious breakfast in bed.  I did, however, receive a lovely breakfast of my favorite yogurt, along with fresh pineapple and strawberries, which is exactly what a wanted.  I actually ate it in the bathroom while I was putting on my makeup with the other hand, but I suppose that's what being a mom is all about, right?  Doing more than one thing at a time?  Yep. 

I actually managed to curl my hair, which I regretted about five minutes later when it fell completely flat.  Welcome, Texas summer.  Welcome, humidity.  Welcome, ponytails.  

We got to church and sat in our favorite spot.  Isn't that funny?  I can almost always tell who is at church and who isn't by a quick glance around the room--we are most definitely creatures of habit, especially when it comes to our favorite pew.  

After Sacrament Meeting it was game on, and everything was in full swing.  I love Primary, but seriously, I need a triple-strength deodorant to get me through those two hours!  I was glad I had given us two weeks to get the cards done, because with so many kids, it took all of the day to get the cards finished, special notes tucked in the secret compartment, and twine tied on. It was worth it. I LOVED seeing how the kids answered questions about their mom. Some were hilarious, and some were just so sweet. I wish I could have seen their moms' faces when they opened them.


Once I got home, the relaxation began.  Rick took the kids, and sent me to my room for the afternoon. The baby napped on the bed, while I...just...sat.  I watched a favorite movie, ate some chocolates I got from church (Lindt truffles and homemade caramels...YUM!), and totally enjoyed the peace and quiet.  When I got up, Rick had made my favorite dinner--grilled chicken and corn on the cob, watermelon, and roasted potatoes.  It was perfect.  

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with my kids, which is the way it should be. I read their notes and cards, and I loved them all to bits.  I especially love this one from Emma...


More than any other grown-up girl?  Love it. 

Pretty much every second of the day I was thinking how lucky I am to be living this life.