Sunday, July 7, 2013

{swimming lessons}

We just finished up swimming lessons, and I cannot believe how much all four have improved in such a short period of time. It really has made such a huge difference how much they're in the water, and even Jack, who last summer wouldn't even get in the pool, is now swimming across the pool by himself.  

Their teacher is amazing--a swimmer and diver in her own right--and teaches in her backyard pool.  Jack and Henry started out at a Level 1, and next year will be in Level 2/3.  The girls started in Level 2, and next year will be in Level 4!  Both of them can now do freestyle and backstroke across the pool, which is incredible when you contrast it to what they could do when we moved here.  

Living in Michigan we just didn't swim a lot.  The outside pool water was cold, and with so many really young children, it just wasn't something I could do by myself. I'm really not a fan of indoor pools--way to stuffy and humid for me, so we stuck to the splash park. We went to the beach a lot, but they played in the sand and splashed in the water--not much actual swimming.  It's such a way of life here because it's so hot, and kids learn a lot faster.  

They loved lessons.  The boys were in one class, and the girls right after, so it was really convenient for me.  There were only 5 kids per class, which meant a lot of one-on-one attention, and another reason they learned so quickly. I was really impressed by the teacher--I wish we have had time to squeeze in another session.  

I have a few pictures of Jack and Henry, but can you believe I don't have even one of the girls?? It's because I was busy chasing around the boys while the girls were swimming, and I didn't get a chance.  

{They swam in the pool, then moved to the hot tub to practice other things--diving for rings, etc.}

 
{Yep.  That's Henry, trying to escape}


 
{Okay, this KILLS me.  This is Henry's "thumbs up".  I love love it!}


Rick wants to know if she gives adult lessons.  ☺