Tuesday, April 22, 2008

3rd grade "cool"

This morning Ryan asked me to please comb his hair "so it didn't look combed". Apparently, it is not cool to have combed hair if you are a boy in the 3rd grade of his elementary school. I obliged him, even though I did sneak in a few extra swipes of the comb to conquer a few stray pieces of hair. My rule is that he either has to wear a hat or comb his hair, and if he's not going to school, he almost always opts for the hat. He doesn't yet understand the merits of combed hair, and I'm really starting to think my explanation regarding a good presentation of yourself, to society, and in the future workplace isn't quite working. :)


I suppose I can work with it...after all, in 3rd grade I had a perm that started a 1/3 of the way down my head, and I turned out okay.

5 comments:

Jana said...

I thought I was the only one with that perm! Ha, those were the days. Your little boy is growing up but you have stayed the same, how does that work? He's a handsome guy but he always has been!

Erica said...

I'm so glad someone else is with me on the hair done or hat thing!

And I too am guilty of a perm as well...we need to get together and laugh hysterically while we swap some pics :)

p.s. i'm sad twizzlers lost!

Our Family Adventures said...

You are so lucky that you were able to last until 3rd grade! It was 1st for us. Spencer informed me one day that the kids at school wanted to know why his hair looked so "dark" and combed in the morning. He does not like when we have to use any bit of water to comb his hair :) He now brushes through it each morning and he is DONE! I was sad, but figured there were much worse things to be concerned about. They are so darn cute :)

likeschocolate said...

Ok, I didn't have the perm thing going in third grade. I have always wanted straight hair, and had it until I was 14 when hormones kicked in and my hair began to looked like I stuck my hair in the light socket. We solve the hair problem with the boys by giving them buzz cuts. I imagine when they grow up they will grow there hair long just to spite me. My biggest problem is keeping my boys faces clean. There always seems to be leftovers on their faces when they come home from school.

sheri said...

Oh man, Kyle's the same way! (and he's only in 1st grade) Every stinkin morning I hear "Mom, don't make me look all handsome and stuff. It's not church, it's school"

Whatever.

Post a Comment