Saturday was our community's annual Run/Walk. We love it, and participate in it every year. Rick, Ryan and I have run the 5k the past few years, with the girls doing the "tot trot", but this year was a little different for me.
Since I can't run, I decided to do the 5k walk. No big deal, right? Yeah.
That morning was perfect running weather---a little on the cool side, but not cold. We all had matching t-shirts on (except for me...mine didn't fit), and were ready to go with our chips (I didn't wear one...I did not want proof of how slow I knew I was going to be), race bibs, and water bottles.
About 10 minutes after Rick and Ryan started their run, the girls and I were off. I started toward the beginning of the pack, but that quickly changed. Soon I was being passed by all sorts of people (and even the fact that I had technically had 4 children with me didn't make me feel better), and I was wondering if I was going to end up dead last. That didn't settle well with me. In my mind, I knew I could go much faster, and when my body wasn't cooperating, it was killing me! So, I set my sights on people in front of me that I really wanted to beat. The 80 year old man? Really. I really needed to beat him. At the mile marker, I was feeling good, and felt like I was keeping up a pretty good pace. Then it hit. I had to go to the bathroom so bad, and the pounding on the pavement didn't help.at.all. I knew I could never make it to the end, so I headed over to the nearest volunteer and race official. They didn't know of any facilities close by, and even when they radioed in they didn't have an answer. Then the woman volunteer that was there offered her house, which was incredibly generous. I was also much too desperate to turn her down. So, the girls and I veered off course to head to this woman's house. We did stop at a church a couple of blocks on the way, hoping it might be open, but it was locked up tight. Another block or so down we reached her home, and I unbuckled the girls to take them in. I have to admit I had the slightest twinge of nerves when we walked in, but at that point I couldn't have turned back if I wanted to. It was so nice of her to offer, and I was very grateful.
After Emma got her hand caught in the back door, and was treated with an ice pack, we were finally on our way back to the course. I walked fast those few blocks, but I realized I must have been gone longer than I thought. I saw that there was NO ONE left on the course, and the policemen were taking down barriers and letting traffic through. I'm sure when they saw me they were wondering what in the world I was doing, especially since I wasn't even coming from the direction I should have been! So, I walked on the sidewalk, but kept up my pace. I decided I would keep going and finish, even though I could have headed back to the community center.
After Rick finished his race, he came back to finish walking with me. By then I was getting a few contractions, and had to stop a couple of times to lean against a tree. But, I did it! It was totally worth it, and despite all the craziness, I'm glad I did it.
The girls had their "Tot Trot" next, and they loved the little obstacle course that was set up for them. We let the kids play for a little while, then headed home. We were all tired, but a good tired. We spent the rest of the day doing yard work, then had roast hot dogs and made S'mores at the firepit.
It was a great day.

13 comments:
Sounds like a fun adventure. Glad you made it. :)
Hang in there the end is almost near and you will be back running on your new tredmill.
Man- why can't you be my next door neighbor and get me out there walking! I wish I had your drive- amazing! :)
You are awesome!!! Seriously! I am glad you guys had a fun day! You inspire me!
I didn't even know about all of your detours!!! You are quite a Woman!!!! Think of how easy it will feel to do next year with all those babies out of you :) I am getting so excited to see what those baby boys look like.
You amaze me--great job. BTW, love the title of the post.
Yum, smores ; )
Wow. That's quite the adventure! :)
I am so completely amazed by your determination. I would have asked for a ride to the finish line.:) You're amazing, and your kids are forever going to learn from your example. I'm completely in awe.
I'm glad you made it through it. But you deserve to seriously take a day off and put your feet up after that!
Way to go! I don't know if I'd have felt like going on a walk at this point - even with just one baby in my belly.
you are amazing that you even attempted it - i can't wait to run it together next year :)
Way to go on finishing!! I probably would have thrown in the towel. You are amazing!!
i'm not even pregnant and the thought of a 5k is killing me. way to go!!
I don't know whether to laugh or just be relieved that you are ok! Wow, you're quite the trooper, amazing story!
Post a Comment