This was a great weekend.
On Saturday we finally got brave and went looking for plants, bushes, and flowers to landscape our yard. We've lived in our house for two years now, and haven't landscaped a thing, so it was about time. I just had no idea where to start! A blank slate can be good...but it's also a little scary. A good friend drew out a couple landscaping plans for us, and that helped immensely. We are definitely in a new territory, but I'm really excited about what we got. It's just a start, but it will be nice to not be the only house on the block without a little greenery.
When we were working in the yard later that day, I was cleaning off the front door and porch. I was going to spray it all down, so I took the wreath off of the door. Guess what I found?

It couldn't stay on my wreath, so we took it off and put it up in a tree. I'm so sad for the mama bird. I don't know what we should have done, but I know she's not going to be able to find her eggs. If anyone knows, please let me know!
That night we went to a professional baseball game, and had a blast. It's right here in our town, so we don't have to go very far, and the best seats in the house are the lawn tickets. You can see everything, and the kids can move around. Add in some ice cream and cotton candy, and it's even better!
---------------------------
Sunday was just beautiful. Can I just tell you how much I love being able to grill, and eat outside on the picnic table? I just sat there, looking around, and realized it was a perfect moment. Of course the watermelon and corn on the cob helped. :) We built a fire in the firepit and had S'mores later that evening, and even Jack and Henry tried their first marshmallows. (Jack liked them, Henry didn't.) It was already feeling like summer, and I knew we would have a hard time going back to school on Tuesday.
----------------------------
Monday we had great plans. There is a huge Memorial Day parade here, and we look forward to it every year. A big BBQ with all of our friends was scheduled for that afternoon, and all of us were anticipating a really great celebration. We woke up to a really big thunderstorm, and when we checked the weather, it was supposed to rain off and on all day long. The parade was definitely off, but the BBQ was up in the air. It was 9:30am, our whole family was dressed, and the car was packed. That doesn't happen very often at our house, and so we decided to take advantage of it. We hopped in the car, and started driving! There was rain forecasted for the whole state, so we knew we had to go somewhere indoors. We headed for a large city just a couple of hours away. We shopped, ate at our favorite restaurant, and stopped to see the temple. It was just so fun. The kids did really well, until we were about 20 minutes from home, when they all started having meltdowns. We made it though, and tucked them right into bed when we got home. It was perfect. We had a few bumps along the way (to be expected), but it was a really great family day.
(at the mall, after a very long day!)
I'll just leave you with this...
Quote of the weekend: (Emma) "You've got too many kids, Dad".
On Saturday we finally got brave and went looking for plants, bushes, and flowers to landscape our yard. We've lived in our house for two years now, and haven't landscaped a thing, so it was about time. I just had no idea where to start! A blank slate can be good...but it's also a little scary. A good friend drew out a couple landscaping plans for us, and that helped immensely. We are definitely in a new territory, but I'm really excited about what we got. It's just a start, but it will be nice to not be the only house on the block without a little greenery.
When we were working in the yard later that day, I was cleaning off the front door and porch. I was going to spray it all down, so I took the wreath off of the door. Guess what I found?

It couldn't stay on my wreath, so we took it off and put it up in a tree. I'm so sad for the mama bird. I don't know what we should have done, but I know she's not going to be able to find her eggs. If anyone knows, please let me know!
That night we went to a professional baseball game, and had a blast. It's right here in our town, so we don't have to go very far, and the best seats in the house are the lawn tickets. You can see everything, and the kids can move around. Add in some ice cream and cotton candy, and it's even better!
---------------------------
Sunday was just beautiful. Can I just tell you how much I love being able to grill, and eat outside on the picnic table? I just sat there, looking around, and realized it was a perfect moment. Of course the watermelon and corn on the cob helped. :) We built a fire in the firepit and had S'mores later that evening, and even Jack and Henry tried their first marshmallows. (Jack liked them, Henry didn't.) It was already feeling like summer, and I knew we would have a hard time going back to school on Tuesday.
----------------------------
Monday we had great plans. There is a huge Memorial Day parade here, and we look forward to it every year. A big BBQ with all of our friends was scheduled for that afternoon, and all of us were anticipating a really great celebration. We woke up to a really big thunderstorm, and when we checked the weather, it was supposed to rain off and on all day long. The parade was definitely off, but the BBQ was up in the air. It was 9:30am, our whole family was dressed, and the car was packed. That doesn't happen very often at our house, and so we decided to take advantage of it. We hopped in the car, and started driving! There was rain forecasted for the whole state, so we knew we had to go somewhere indoors. We headed for a large city just a couple of hours away. We shopped, ate at our favorite restaurant, and stopped to see the temple. It was just so fun. The kids did really well, until we were about 20 minutes from home, when they all started having meltdowns. We made it though, and tucked them right into bed when we got home. It was perfect. We had a few bumps along the way (to be expected), but it was a really great family day.
(at the mall, after a very long day!)I'll just leave you with this...
Quote of the weekend: (Emma) "You've got too many kids, Dad".
8 comments:
Sounds like the perfect end to a perfect weekend. We missed you!
Sounds like you guys had a blast - and no meltdowns till the end - that's pretty good :) We missed ya!
What a great kick-off to summer!!! It all sounds so perfect! I hope you got some great deals shopping...I need to make a trip down there as well! And...as you can tell...we missed you :)!!!
Those eggs are such a beautiful blue... Too bad you cannot decorate with them!
Great weekend!!! We had rain here since last Wednesday but had a great weekend,too.
Sounds wonderful and sorry you had rain. The children look adorable in the matching outfits.
I'm glad you didn't let a little rain stop you.
I hope the mama bird comes back.
The kids look so cute.
I am glad you had a great weekend. Family is what holidays are all about.
If it makes you feel better we don't have our yard landscaped yet either. we are going on 3 years.
Post a Comment