Tuesday, January 29, 2013

{extreme couponing? not so much}

I've watched those extreme couponing reality shows a couple of times, and have always been in awe by the amount of toilet paper, paper towels, and bottles of Powerade a person can accumulate. The packed shelves in their living rooms, and garages lined with endless product fascinated me, as did the final price tag at the end of their sale...27 cents.  Or something like that.  

Dumpster diving, 40 hour weeks of clipping coupons...I just couldn't imagine that it would really pay off in the end, or that all that toilet paper would be worth it.

I've also wondered how much their actual groceries cost them. As in what they're going to eat.  For dinner.  Sure, you can have 41 bottles of V05 shampoo, 62 razors, 76 boxes of Hamburger Helper, 104 bottles of Powerade, and 37 king-size candy bars that you paid all of a $1 for, but an actual meal?

The majority of our grocery budget goes toward produce, dairy, and meat---fruit, vegetables, milk, eggs, cheese, whole grain bread, chicken, 96/4 ground beef, fish, etc.  I've never seen an extreme couponing checkout that had included all of these items and came even close to $1.

All that said, this past weekend, after seeing our grocery bill go up once again, I decided to try a little couponing of my own.  I've clipped a few coupons here and there, but mostly my strategy has been to shop the sales of the local grocery stores, and buy what we needed in bulk--then supplement the basics.  Well, I got a little crazy, and spent several hours printing, clipping, and preparing for my big grocery outing on Saturday.  Most of the coupons I found were for processed, boxed food--stuff that we don't buy or eat.  I really wanted cereal coupons, but couldn't find many, and those that I did find, the amount I would save really wasn't a lot.  I did find a few that I would use, but it took me awhile to find those.

We have very few choices for grocery stores here (which surprised me...we have everything else you can imagine), and I'm somewhat forced to do all my shopping at Wal-mart. I've never loved their groceries--I don't think they have great produce or meat--but you can't argue with most of their prices.  I've also never seriously taken advantage of their price matching policy, other than an item here or there.  This week, however, I decided to make a full list of every grocery store in town, what they had on sale that I wanted, and coordinate it with my own grocery list.  I itemized by section, made several lists that would hopefully make my trip easier, and HOURS later finally ended up with what I thought was a good plan.

It was Emma's turn to come with me, and after a delicious lunch on the restaurant patio of her choice, we were off. 

THREE+  hours later, we finally left the store.  It was dark. It took a lot of time to match the items, choose the right brand, and cross reference my lists.  Checkout was ridiculous--at least 45 minutes of our time was there (and that doesn't include standing in line), as we went through each item that was being matched, and then the stack of coupons at the end.  I was THAT person you don't want to be behind in line. 

Our total savings?  $40.  

Yes, $40 is not chump change.  However, if you add up all the hours I spent preparing and then shopping, it adds up to be about $5 or less an hour.  I spent almost eight hours away from my kids, and didn't save nearly as much as I'd hoped. And I just did a tiny portion of what some do.

Clearly, I'm not an expert, and I do know that there are people out there that are successful couponers.  They know the tricks, ins and outs, and have spent the time to figure it all out.  I'm sure there are people that could take what I spend on groceries and cut it in half. Honestly, I don't even want to know the amount of time it would take to do it.  

I love saving money, getting a good deal, and being frugal.  I think I shop well, buy healthy food for my family, and hopefully save money in the process.  But extreme couponing?  Or even spend-eight-to-ten-to-forty-five hours a week clipping, printing, filing, and tracking sales cycles, just to possibly save on food we don't buy or want to buy?  It's not for me.  Right now, my time is worth money, and that time is going to take precedence.  Even with a large family and ever-growing grocery bill, it simply doesn't make sense for me right now to dedicate SO much time to it.  If someday our situation did require it, I would absolutely figure it out, and make it a priority.

However, I think I'll continue with my current strategy of shopping sales, shopping in bulk, planning inexpensive meals, and clipping a few coupons each week. We don't buy soda, and rarely chips (just for lunches) or junk food, and I know this greatly cuts down on possible grocery costs.

So...hats off to those that have figured it out, and do it on a regular basis. I was EXHAUSTED by the end of the day.  


{This is what my cart looks like EVERY week, lol!  The oranges on top are actually stacked in my cart, not on the shelves behind it, and the pile is about 2 feet above the cart.  I wasn't able to push and pull, so I tried really hard to make everything I needed fit into one.}

I actually learned a few things I will implement, so I'm grateful for that.  I can also say that I tried it--that I gave my very best effort, and for now, that's good enough.

9 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Recently one of these experts went on the today show or GMA and said the amount of time spent is not worth it plus we don't use most of the products that have coupons. Most is for processed food. Yuck!

melanie said...

If you decide to attempt price-matching again, I saved SO MUCH TIME when I found this website: grocerysmarts.com; choose your state and they have the list of your local stores in one place & what's on sale that week (plus printable coupon links for the processed stuff, but I do find extreme deals on cereal that way!) It is fast & sometimes I even pull it up on my phone while I'm out just grabbing milk just to get the sale price from another store. haha!!

Andi said...

Fact is... you're busy, and the $40 saved is not worth all the work. I agree with you 100%. My calling in my ward is to work with families and sisters on their finances. I find that be a "premeditated shopper" is key, and having a budget. Keeping things simple is the way to go! And our lives are so different... I smiled at your full grocery cart. Hard for me to imagine buying that much! Good luck and best wishes in the weeks to come!

luckyduck said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't find extreme couponing worth the time/effort. Like you said, a lot of the stuff is processed foods and we don't use most of them. Good job giving it a try!

Erica said...

I hear ya - and completely agree :)

Carn Family said...

You can say you tried and maybe you will again someday when you have more time....oh wait, that will be never! I still want a copy of your grocery bill when Henry turns 16.

Melanie said...

This is such a funny coincidence, because I just went shopping at Wally World, (and my cart looks exactly like that... It almost made me cry to see your cart.) =) K, I was piled high, and I passed by this certain cashier, because he's a 20-ish year old kid that piles bananas on top of grapes, etc... just no concept. I smiled at him, and he immediately turned to the girl I had chosen, and SWITCHED registers with her, because "you've come in my line like a million times, and I just wanted to do your order." What I think was his motivation was, he knows that I never price-match, etc - We've talked about it before - So I'm going to make his scans-per-minute skyrocket. It kind of made my night, kind of made me cringe... just had to unsquish the breads from each other; 4 thrown in together, and extricate my cream cheese from the bags of crafty stuff, etc. =)

AngelaW said...

We had a RS activity where several ladies showed us how to do it. I was almost sucked in because they had binders, and who can resist a binder. Then they explained their process, and I quickly realized that I can make a lot more $ and hour than what I would save with coupons. I do think if either of us lost our jobs and $$ became an issue, I would probably try to figure out an efficient way to to this for me. For now, I use a coupon if it is for something I normally buy, and every once in a while, I will do a price match.

Kathryn said...

Amen! Loved this post. Not worth it. And we have had to drastically reduce our budget due to our income falling these last few years, but couponing and driving to tons of different stores still is not worth it. Like you said, it's all about having meal plans and inexpensive meals. And thankfully we have Costco and a discount produce store here.

Post a Comment