Thursday, January 10, 2013

{it's that time again...}

Yes, it's January, and in my world, that means widowhood.  

It really sneaked up on me this year.  Rick always takes off the last couple weeks of the year so we can prepare for it--get things done and spend time together as a family, but this year he needed to spend it in St. George, so we didn't get that time.  The day they got back in town, he went into work, and called later in the day to say that deadlines had been moved up and the busy season had officially started.  Yikes. I'm totally unprepared!

Some years are harder than others, and I'll be curious to see what this year brings.  We're not starting out too great---Kate just got better after a a week of being very sick, now both Jack and Emma are down and out, and I have a feeling Henry and Ryan aren't far behind.  I'm not feeling well ( I hate having a cold--and not being able to take anything for it!), and the 9 weeks I have left is feeling like 97. (Is it elephants that are pregnant for 2 years?  I cannot think of anything worse!)

I know, I know, woe is me. 

Everyone will get better, and we will survive.  I just need to have my little pity party, and then I can get on with life.  ☺

This time of year always makes me grateful that I'm not always a single mom.  However, I am okay with saying that it's hard, because it IS hard.  Everyone's favorite part of the day is when Dad comes through the door. Somehow, all is right in the world when that happens. Kids are happy because they have someone "fun" to play with, lol, and I'm happy because it means I might get a little break or perhaps cook dinner without 500 interruptions. When it's all on you--dinner, homework, piano practice, running kids everywhere, baths, and bedtime (and when you're as big as a house) and knowing there is no one coming to help--it can feel overwhelming.

That said, I do have good kids, and they are all willing to help.  I've got some that love to help in the kitchen, others that are really good at entertaining little ones, and one that's old enough to stay home for a little bit if I need to do some running around without packing everyone into the car.  It means more simple meals, and that's okay.  It means I can watch whatever I want to at night.  ☺  I always get a lot of projects done, and this year I'll most likely do my fair share of online shopping for fun baby stuff.  Every year we make it through, and this year will be no different.  (And really, nothing can be harder than the year that I had 4 kids, 3 and under including 2 new babies, and Ryan not old enough to be home on his own.) It's also perfect timing as far as the baby goes--Rick will be finished right before she's born, and he will have the time to spend with us then, when we will really need it.

So, today I'm buckling down, making simple meal lists, planning fun things I can do with the kids on Saturdays (which is the hardest day, but at least the weather is nice!), and ideas to make the next couple of months enjoyable.  I have discovered over the years that my attitude is what makes it or breaks it, and when I'm determined to make it a positive experience, it usually is.  I am strong and capable, and my kids are counting on me to be both mom and dad for awhile. I'm grateful that he has such a good job, and a few sacrifices along the way I am totally willing to make.  To be perfectly honest, I've always felt like I get the easier end of the deal. At least I get to be in my comfortable house, in my pajamas, and go to bed when I want to!  I really don't know how Rick survives the hours he works, but we're lucky to have such a hard worker and excellent provider for our family.

Okay, pep talk over.

Really, it just comes down to the fact that we miss him.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Busy season sucks for those who have to work and for those left at home. I remember it always ruined new years for us because that just meant the beginning of a long couple of months. Good luck!

Andi said...

You can do it!

Memorie said...

I love you Kierst!!! Call me anytime and vent...it will come with no judgement or remembrance of said conversation:)

Erica said...

I'm expecting lots of phone time missy!

Carn Family said...

I feel for you. I think you were right on when you said it is all about attitude and it sounds like you are for sure having the best attitude you can given the situation. I pray that your family gets better and that things can go smoothly during busy season. Hang in there....and if you ever need to speak to an adult and hide in your closet for a few minutes you know I'm here for you.

bluestocking mama said...

Oh, I remember those times. Thankfully, I only had 1 baby at the time. Can't imagine doing it with 5! Good luck, Kierste!

Melanie said...

Memorie's comment made me smile. Look at all the support you have. =) If I lived closer, your cuties could come play at specific times for your schedule, so you could accomplish all those pre-birth projects, get some naps, etc. I just ran into Myndie at my own Target last night, and it made me think that we need to have a little mini-reunion asap. =) Good luck with everything. You are going to do fantastic!!

Post a Comment