Thursday, December 4, 2014

{o christmas tree}

For thirteen years now, we've been cutting down our Christmas tree.  It still remains one of our most beloved and favorite traditions...ever.  To us it's not hard work, or a lot of effort--it's just one of the things that makes Christmas so special for our family, and it's FUN! I also think it's partly because I think I should have been born as Laura Ingalls Wilder.  :) 

We were so thrilled to be back in cold country, and were hoping for snow. There's something about bundling up and tromping through the snow to cut down your own tree that's just unbeatable, and we were totally in luck!  We asked around to find out which tree farm we should go to, and overwhelmingly one in particular was named over and over.  Evergreen Hills it was!  

The day after Thanksgiving we bundled everyone up, and drove about 45 minutes to tree farm.  Immediately we were charmed by the property, which was in an incredibly beautiful setting.  Most farms we've been to provide a hayride out to the trees, but this place give us sleds--and I'm so glad!  We got the littles on sleds, and started pulling, down a cute little lane, marked with signs to tell us what kinds of trees were there.  We kept going, and soon we were off the beaten path, making our own paths with the sleds.  It was downhill, so we were sledding, rolling the snow, and checking out our trees on the way down.  At the bottom, we were overlooking a valley, and a mountain on the other side--dotted with snow-covered trees. It was breathtaking, and worth the walk down...and back up.  We later found out that not many people venture that far, so the trees are the best of the bunch! And it's true...we found the most perfect tree we've ever had!  It was the perfect shape, every branch in place, and just the right height.  Usually we go for "charm", but in this case it was charming and beautiful too.  It was a no-brainer, this was OUR tree!  

Rick cut it down, we put it on the sled, and pulled it UP the hill.  We didn't really think about that part on our way down.  :)  You know--the kids didn't complain about the cold or the walk, they were just so excited to be enjoying the snow!  

Once it was tied down to the top of the truck, it was time to for dinner, so we stopped at Red Robin--my kids' favorite restaurant.  They really do have the best fries and ranch around. 

We listened to Christmas songs on the way home, and almost all the kids were asleep by the time we got there.  We definitely wore them out!  It was such a great day--probably the best tree-cutting day we've ever had!  

On our way...


Starting out on the main path



Concolor is my absolute favorite tree.  I prefer longer needles as opposed to short, poky ones, and these are beautiful!








Henry is kind of the perfect Santa Claus. :)


The most adorable gingerbread around!


My Jack-Jack!


THE tree.


Throwback to Texas...quite the difference! 


This is the text I got from Ryan on the way home...quite creative, I think.  It's even funnier, because I had just suggested to Rick that we go there. You know...great minds.


My response....


I wish we could do it again...tomorrow!