The other day I took Henry into the doctor, and by chance it happened to be a day that Rick was off work. So, it ended up just being him and me.
It felt a little strange to be taking just one baby out of the car, and to be able to carry him in without a stroller. When you have two babies, that never happens, and it's never that easy.
Afterward, I really needed to get to the grocery store, and suddenly had the thought---what do I do? I can do two babies, but one? He wasn't sitting up yet, could I actually still put him in the front of the cart? Would the buckle work, and keep him upright? Did he need a blanket? With those questions racing through my mind, I called my good friend for help. I know, it sounds funny, but I honestly couldn't remember. She assured me it would be fine, and off we went.
As we walked through the aisles together, and even as I dealt with all the normal struggles involved with taking a baby grocery shopping, I realized how much I was enjoying myself. It was just so fun to have that one-on-one time with him--where he had my complete and full attention (which is almost impossible at home). I sang and laughed, and we had a great time.
We have always made a strong effort to have separate time with each of our children. We recognized from the beginning that these special times on their own would be important--especially with multiples that share pretty much every aspect of their lives. After this experience with Henry, I realize that it needs to start much younger than I thought.
I have struggled a bit with the fact that my babies get held half the time. I can't hold them both at the same time very often, and with two 3 year old girls running around, it's not nearly as much as I want to, or have the ability to. I feel like they grow up twice as fast as Ryan ever did--maybe because I don't get to experience it in quite the same way. Would I change it? Absolutely not. I could never wish for it to be any different.
Like everything in life, there is a learning process, and sometimes the greatest lessons are learned by accident.
I think I will be making a grocery store date with Jack...very soon.
It felt a little strange to be taking just one baby out of the car, and to be able to carry him in without a stroller. When you have two babies, that never happens, and it's never that easy.
Afterward, I really needed to get to the grocery store, and suddenly had the thought---what do I do? I can do two babies, but one? He wasn't sitting up yet, could I actually still put him in the front of the cart? Would the buckle work, and keep him upright? Did he need a blanket? With those questions racing through my mind, I called my good friend for help. I know, it sounds funny, but I honestly couldn't remember. She assured me it would be fine, and off we went.
As we walked through the aisles together, and even as I dealt with all the normal struggles involved with taking a baby grocery shopping, I realized how much I was enjoying myself. It was just so fun to have that one-on-one time with him--where he had my complete and full attention (which is almost impossible at home). I sang and laughed, and we had a great time.
We have always made a strong effort to have separate time with each of our children. We recognized from the beginning that these special times on their own would be important--especially with multiples that share pretty much every aspect of their lives. After this experience with Henry, I realize that it needs to start much younger than I thought.
I have struggled a bit with the fact that my babies get held half the time. I can't hold them both at the same time very often, and with two 3 year old girls running around, it's not nearly as much as I want to, or have the ability to. I feel like they grow up twice as fast as Ryan ever did--maybe because I don't get to experience it in quite the same way. Would I change it? Absolutely not. I could never wish for it to be any different.
Like everything in life, there is a learning process, and sometimes the greatest lessons are learned by accident.
I think I will be making a grocery store date with Jack...very soon.
13 comments:
You are such a fun person. I love reading your adventures!
How nice for some one on one time even if it was at the grocery store. He is lucky to have such a great mommy!
I have 4 kiddos, 2 of which are twins. It is hard to carve out that one on one time with our chaotic schedule, so we have adopted a neat plan.
One day a week usually a Friday, I will take 1 child to dinner and grocery shopping. That child gets to pick all the special foods for the week like snacks, cereal, or flavor of ice cream.
My twins are a bit young to pick the stuff, but I figure if I start now it will stick.
I was just thinking about you the other day and how difficult it must be to find a moment for each child... let alone a moment for your husband, and especially yourself. But, I also know you're a woman who can take on any challenge!
I think the grocery store is a perfect one-on-one outing. It's a win-win all the way around. ;)
AMEN!
Sorry, that above comment is really from Kathryn, not my husband.
You're kids and husband are so lucky to have you!! Seriously. You do have a special way of making everyone feel special and loved...I figured that out for myself last May ;) I was just reading your previous post and Rob said, "is she a real person?"... meaning that you manage to fit so many things into life that don't even seem accomplishable!! You are amazing!
Ditto to everything above, and you brought tears to my eyes. One-on-one time is so special... we do NOT have it enough with the Twinneries. I've GOT to get better at that. It's really sweet to hear them asking for the other one the WHOLE time they're by themselves, too. A little heartbreaking, but sweeter than sweet at the same time.
And I'm about to do ONE baby! I know you're more entrenched in the mode than I am, but I still refer to the pregnancy as double, or the hospital experience as a plural event. It just gets under your skin - a second nature - to do 2 at once, and then BAM. There's ONE baby, and you don't know what to do with yourself. I feel like I'll be able to do ANYTHING with this next one. We will see, won't we?
Last night I needed to go to the grocery store but didn't want to go by myself. Strange, but I NEVER go to the grocery store by myself and it just didn't seem like it would be the same. I like the idea of thinking of it as a date with your little one :)
I agree, difficult to find one on one time and we don't have multiples! But nonetheless, very important, I have been working on that lately because they do feel special when they have your full attention.
good idea. i think i always think of the older one being the one that needs the one-on-one but i need to remember the little toot as well :)
That was sweet!! Lucky Henry :)
You are very smart to make sure you have one on one time with your children. Even if it's just for a walk around the block that time with mom is so important.
Can I just add you are a GREAT MOM
Post a Comment