Wednesday, March 17, 2010

{the storm before the calm}


I think they got it wrong. In our house, it is not the calm before the storm, it's the other way around.

Once 4pm hits, the storm starts building, and by 4:45pm it's in full swing. We're talking torrential rains, 50 foot waves, 200mph winds, and fierce thunder and lightning. It hits its peak at around 5:45pm, and by 6:30pm it has finally started to reach calm status.

I can see why it happens. That time of day provides the exact ingredients for that perfect storm...tired, hungry, and grumpy kids, a mom trying to make dinner (and having it be nutritious to boot), homework and cello practice needing to be completed, and babies who need to be fed and require attention. Add in those nights where someone in the family needs to be somewhere, and the whole thing intensifies.

I have done what I can to prepare--steps I take to reduce the intensity of the storm, and that helps some. But in the end, as the captain of the shipt, I need to hunker down and realize it's all part of the job. That keeping the ship afloat is what's most important, and remembering that this life at sea is exactly where I want to be.


8 comments:

Courtney said...

That is definitely the hardest part of the day - I try to get homework done right after school and as much of dinner done before school lets out as possible but it still gets crazy!

Melanie said...

Ditto on homework right after school, but it doesn't mean there isn't a storm! When the weather gets nicer, they can play outside while I cook, but solving their problems with each other while stuff is boiling... still a storm. Babies make the storm even more unpredictable, and TWIN babies make it tempting to do frozen or take-out every night! So "good on ya" for healthy cooking in the torential downpour! Today is one of those days for me, where it's all worth it: twinnies playing happily with toys, giggling together, running around in fantasy world. Leftover yummy dinner from last night on the menu... aaahhh.

Probably just the calm, huh.

likeschocolate said...

The homework part seems to be the hardest because Roman always wants to be in the middle of the boys and what they are doing. I prepare my dinner in the morning, so that I only have to pop it in the oven at night. It helps a lot!

Carn Family said...

So so true. My least favorite time of the day, dinner, comes right before my most favorite time, bed time! I have never thought of myself as captain of a ship but you are right. We are the ones that keep the family sinking. Thanks for the reminder that I am not the only one who struggles through that time of the day :)

Carn Family said...

I meant to say keep the family FROM sinking not we are the ones that keep the family sinking! Although there have been plenty of days where I feel like I am the one who makes the ship go down!

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

I just love you Kierste!!!

Bilary said...

Oh my heck, I can relate all too well to this one. I swear that most nights when Bill walks in the door, I don't hardly even have time to say hello. I am always SO glad to have the extra pair of hands to help with kids and homework and piano and...I always say that two hours of every afternoon is SO hectic, but it is so nice when it does all calm down. It's crazy, but like you say, I wouldn't be anywhere else and I know that someday when the house is dead quiet, I will cry and wish for these days again.

Yvonne said...

Mornings are a breeze compared to that time of day, eh. I never dealt with a day like yours, and I'm amazed that you are able to do as much as you do. One thing to think about to make it a little easier--CROCK POT.

Post a Comment