One of our favorite places to visit is our nearby nature center. It's an incredible educational resource--observatories, hands-on play, activities, acres upon acres to investigate, extremely knowledgeable people to answer any question--none too big or small--storytimes, and more. The kids love every moment of it, and we rarely leave before we've been there at least two hours.
One of the storytimes we went to a few weeks ago with our good friends was about turtles and frogs. We read, made turtles out of paper plates, then headed outside. Oh my goodness, they were all in heaven. They were given dippers, with the goal to catch some tadpoles or frogs. Really though, it didn't matter what they caught--even sticks made them excited! I even got in on the action, when Henry took off his shoe and threw it into the pond. Those dippers work really well, thank goodness. We missed Ryan--he was still in school when we went, but we'll have plenty of time to go this summer.
The boys just had to watch this part--I wasn't quite ready to let them out of their stroller yet. Odds are, they (and I) would have ended up in the pond.
One of the things they were trying to catch...

We loved seeing different animals up close--turkeys, ducks, and birds
I also picked up a couple of pairs of rubber galoshes that they were selling for only $5, and we've put them too good use so far.
Perfect for ponds...and for puddles.









4 comments:
the turkey reminds me of a time when I was driving out to Sams Club in East Lansing and I saw a turkey walking along the highway. Looks like a really fun place to hang out!
Looks like a great place to go and learn--and fun, fun, fun.
what a fun place!!! I can't get over how much all of your children have grown, and look at that red hair!!!!
We went on a hike there last week and startled a turkey (who startled us since didn't know it was there!) It flew for quite a way through a field-I've never seen such a big turkey fly! And of course we caught baby toads to a certain someone's delight!
Post a Comment