Saturday, May 12, 2012

{girls' trip 2012}

Five years ago, one of my most favorite traditions was established...an annual girls' trip!  This year was particularly poignant for me, as I knew I would be leaving in just a few short weeks.  It also made it that more important that we go--not just this year, but every year--no matter where we are! 

We left on a Wednesday afternoon, headed to Pittsburgh for the night, and then on to Washington D. C. as our final destination. It was a total of 12 hours, and our husbands wondered how we could possibly have so much to talk about, but we had no problem filling every minute with laughter, tears, serious conversations, memories, and more. 


 
Our VERY FIRST stop once we got there was a place we have all been dreaming about since we left Utah...CAFE RIO!  If you haven't been there, you do not know what you're missing!  We seriously could not eat fast enough, and it was the first time we were all silent, lol.  



After lunch we headed to Arlington National Cemetery, where we visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the changing of the guard. We watched the soldiers go through a ceremony that honors every soldier that has fought for our country, and provided us with all the freedoms that we enjoy today.  In a time when there isn't much silence in this world, to stand silently with the hundreds of others that were there to witness such a solemn event, was especially touching.




That night we headed to one of the best malls I've been to in a long time!  We ate yummy frozen yogurt, our favorite fries from Five Guys, and watched a chick flick.


We took the Metro into the city the next morning, and the first item on our list was the Holocaust Museum.  There is a quote on the wall when you first walk in, and while I can't remember it ins it's entirety, the first line stayed with me...that it would change you forever.  I've researched and read quite a bit of the Holocaust, but what I witnessed between those four walls was indescribable--the absolute horror and depravity was stunning. Tears streamed down my face as I paid silent homage to all those that suffered, died, and also those that lived--with those experiences burned on their souls.  I will not forget. 


While we were on a lunch break, we managed to come outside for the only 20 minute period of rain the whole day, and our very pregnant friend slipped and fell. We ended up pushing her in a wheelchair the rest of the trip, and visiting the ER that night until 3:30am.  Thankfully, as is well, but it certainly provided us with MANY, many memories.


After the Holocaust Museum, we headed to our tour of the Capitol.  It is a simply stunning building, and our tour guide was fabulous.  I have always loved politics, and in college I was fortunate enough to be a part of an Intercollegiate Assembly as a Senator--we sat in the actual state Senate seats, and voted on bills that would eventually go to the state Senate to be voted on. Being in the U.S. Capitol was so exciting for me, and knowing that our nation and world were changed right in that very spot.




Yes, we both ended up in orange stripes that day, and when I was the one pushing the wheelchair, we were quite the sight  :)


Next we headed to Engraving and Printing to see lots and lots of money being made!  It was very interesting to see the whole process--it was quite different than what I had imagined.


Okay, now the fun really began, lol.  We had to get Stephanie back home, which involved riding the Metro back to our car.  I can only imagine what we looked like to passers-by (although based on the looks on their faces, I got a pretty good idea, lol). We didn't have a wheelchair to use on the way home--so we carried her!  Once we were able to stop laughing, it worked quite well.


The next morning, despite having been up to 3:30am at the ER, we wanted to head back into the city to see the monuments.  We didn't have a lot of time, but I loved being able to be at the Washington Monument and look around to see all the other monuments, plus the White House in the distance.  I especially loved the Lincoln Memorial--what a brilliant, brilliant man he was! The Gettysburg Address I feel was especially inspired, and I loved seeing it carved onto the wall of the memorial.







That afternoon we visited the most darling place for lunch, and I was especially happy because it had a gluten-free menu.  Our meal was delicious, and it was the perfect stop before...the spa!! It has become a much-loved girls' trip tradition, and one we look forward to.



That night we ate another yummy dinner at Cafe Rio, headed back the hotel, and cozied up to watch tv until it was time for bed.  It was perfect! 

We left bright and early the next morning to get started on the trip home, and it was amazing how fast it flew by. It was a wonderful trip, and I'm so grateful to Rick for taking off work and holding down the fort so I can enjoy a few days with my friends.  He's awesome, and the house was totally and completely clean when I got home--bathrooms, vacuuming, mopping, and everything! He even texted me pictures on the way home. :) That really was the best way to end the trip!

Can't wait for next year!

5 comments:

likeschocolate said...

So glad you had an awesome time! FUN!

Andee said...

I just did a girls trip up to Heber with some of my besties, but I would kill to have a trip for that long! How fun!

Erica said...

such a fun trip! maybe i'll get it up on my blog before next year!!! looking forward to many many more :)

Carn Family said...

Another great year down...next year we may never sleep with all the catching up we will have to do!

Lyndi said...

Oh, I just love you! I will never forget this trip! :)

Post a Comment