The worst class I ever had in my whole life was 8th grade Home Ec. I really liked the cooking and baking sections, but when it came to sewing my whole being rebelled. I wasn't good at it (the teacher also confirmed that), and I didn't like it. I attempted several projects, and in my efforts to get an A, I did give it my all. The sweatshirt I made my sister for Christmas was complete with one large arm and one tiny arm--I didn't realize that a serger would cut off the material in addition to sewing it. The pillow cover I made was far from perfect, although my sweet mother kept it in our living room (perhaps as a small reminder that there was possibly some hope for my homemaking skills). The bookmark I sewed did meet the requirements of different stitches executed, but I don't think I even kept that.
Needless to say, I haven't ever been much on the sewing front. That experience stuck with me--I have shied away from anything to do with it since, and I have done amazing things with duct tape, hot glue, and double stick tape. However, over the past few years, there have been many times that I have wished I could at least perform a simple stitch--curtains, bags, hems, Halloween costumes, and the list goes on. As a mom, I have continued to add to the list of reasons that I should at least have a basic knowledge of a sewing machine.
I had this conversation with a good friend last week, and I told her that at the beginning of the year I made a goal to learn how to sew in 2008. I really wanted to find a good, basic machine I could learn on. She also volunteered to teach me how, and I quickly took her up on that. This particular friend is also the shopping queen of America, and she finds unheard of bargains. I have had her on several occasions,call me and fill me in on a great deal or sale, and then proceed to put something on hold for me until I can get there. I totally love it. Well, the very next day, she called me from Target, and she had miraculously found a Singer, originally $100, for $22!!! It's definitely the machine for me--simple, with a few different stitches and a buttonhole function. Even if it lasts a year, it will be worth it!
If you had asked me even 5 years ago, I would have never thought this day would come. Rick has also expressed his skepticism, but that was after I told him I would be hemming all his dress pants from here on out. :) I think I will start a little simpler than that. Wish me luck everyone--I think I'm going to need it.

Needless to say, I haven't ever been much on the sewing front. That experience stuck with me--I have shied away from anything to do with it since, and I have done amazing things with duct tape, hot glue, and double stick tape. However, over the past few years, there have been many times that I have wished I could at least perform a simple stitch--curtains, bags, hems, Halloween costumes, and the list goes on. As a mom, I have continued to add to the list of reasons that I should at least have a basic knowledge of a sewing machine.
I had this conversation with a good friend last week, and I told her that at the beginning of the year I made a goal to learn how to sew in 2008. I really wanted to find a good, basic machine I could learn on. She also volunteered to teach me how, and I quickly took her up on that. This particular friend is also the shopping queen of America, and she finds unheard of bargains. I have had her on several occasions,call me and fill me in on a great deal or sale, and then proceed to put something on hold for me until I can get there. I totally love it. Well, the very next day, she called me from Target, and she had miraculously found a Singer, originally $100, for $22!!! It's definitely the machine for me--simple, with a few different stitches and a buttonhole function. Even if it lasts a year, it will be worth it!
If you had asked me even 5 years ago, I would have never thought this day would come. Rick has also expressed his skepticism, but that was after I told him I would be hemming all his dress pants from here on out. :) I think I will start a little simpler than that. Wish me luck everyone--I think I'm going to need it.
6 comments:
You are going to LOVE it!!! I am not a seamstress by any means, I too did NOT do well in eighth grade sewing. I made a shirt for my little cousin and my mom wouldn't let me give it to her. :( But, I have LOVED doing simple straight line sewing. For example, briefcases :)!!!!!!! Can't wait to see your first project!
Good luck! I too know nothing so maybe you learning will inspire me to jump on the bandwagon and attempt to learn some sewing skills!
You will have to tell me how it goes. I love to sew but have never really known what I was doing. I hope it is a fun and rewarding experience for you.
Wow good for you for giving it a shot. I got a sewing machine a few years back and I have ZERO sewing experience. Not even 8th grade sewing. I take it out a few times a year and it is just nice to know I have it when I feel like being daring a trying a new project. I can't wait to hear what you decide to do with it first!
I hope you'll show off your projects, I'm sure you will do great! What a nice goal to make and a very handy talent to have.
I'm not a great seamstress (spelling ?), but I do love my sewing machine. I've been in a sewing mood lately. Maybe I'll get better.
Post a Comment