that I really love my husband. Today I did something that neither he, I, nor, quite frankly, anyone that knows me that I would ever do. Yes folks, today I actually made banana bread.
Now, you may not think that it is that big of a deal, but for me, it was HUGE!! I totally hate, despise, and abhor the very sight, smell, and texture of bananas. When I was around 5 or 6, I ate an enormous amount of dried banana chips in one sitting (my mother didn't know...), and since then, I can't stand to be in the same room with them. Since becoming a mother, I have made some sacrifices for my children, and I do buy them at the store and encourage them to eat them. I just have to buy the really green ones. :)
Poor Rick only ever gets banana bread when my mom comes to visit, and takes pity on him. She always makes it when I'm out of the house, so I don't have to smell it.
This morning Rick asked me to please not throw out the dark bananas (he knows me well), because he wanted to make banana bread while I was at YW tonight. Rick is no baker, and I suddenly realized the depths of his desperation. So, I decided that I would try very hard to make it for him this afternoon as a surprise.
How am I doing? Well, I made it through. I held my breath as I mixed the bananas with the butter and eggs, and I almost threw up only once...maybe twice. I also put chocolate chips in. :) I came close to not putting them in, because I didn't want to waste anything chocolate on something banana, but I figured Rick and my kids would love it.
I know it will be worth it, once Rick comes home and is TOTALLY surprised! Here's my mom's recipe...you'll just have to take Rick's word for it that it's good. :)
BANANA BREAD
1 1/4 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
Whisk together in small bowl.
1/2 c. butter, very softened
2 bananas, very ripe
2 eggs
Beat these together with a mixer. Add flour mixture and mix well. Pour into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and coated with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
Now, you may not think that it is that big of a deal, but for me, it was HUGE!! I totally hate, despise, and abhor the very sight, smell, and texture of bananas. When I was around 5 or 6, I ate an enormous amount of dried banana chips in one sitting (my mother didn't know...), and since then, I can't stand to be in the same room with them. Since becoming a mother, I have made some sacrifices for my children, and I do buy them at the store and encourage them to eat them. I just have to buy the really green ones. :)
Poor Rick only ever gets banana bread when my mom comes to visit, and takes pity on him. She always makes it when I'm out of the house, so I don't have to smell it.
This morning Rick asked me to please not throw out the dark bananas (he knows me well), because he wanted to make banana bread while I was at YW tonight. Rick is no baker, and I suddenly realized the depths of his desperation. So, I decided that I would try very hard to make it for him this afternoon as a surprise.
How am I doing? Well, I made it through. I held my breath as I mixed the bananas with the butter and eggs, and I almost threw up only once...maybe twice. I also put chocolate chips in. :) I came close to not putting them in, because I didn't want to waste anything chocolate on something banana, but I figured Rick and my kids would love it.
I know it will be worth it, once Rick comes home and is TOTALLY surprised! Here's my mom's recipe...you'll just have to take Rick's word for it that it's good. :)
BANANA BREAD
1 1/4 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
Whisk together in small bowl.
1/2 c. butter, very softened
2 bananas, very ripe
2 eggs
Beat these together with a mixer. Add flour mixture and mix well. Pour into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and coated with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
10 comments:
I didn't know you hate bananas. How funny! Harris would join you in that dislike. I don't know why, but he used to like them. The pic of memorial day makes me miss home.
I honestly can't believe that you really did it! I'm very proud of you :) What a good wifey you are!!!
How Funny! I actually just bought bananas at the store TODAY to let them get a bit ripe so I could make banana bread. What a good woman you are :)
What a good wife you are! I only like green bananas and my dh thinks I am weird for that.
I LOVED (past tense - I have already eaten it all) THE BREAD!!! I was so surprised. I now truely know that your love for me runs DEEP!
THANK YOU!!!!!;)
You are nice. And you may have inspired me. I've got black bananas in my kitchen begging to be made into something yummy.
:)
Way to be there for your hubby! You are too funny. I have never heard of anyone disliking something so much.
Wow! I didn't know that about you. How funny. Sounds good and I just happen to have 2 brown bananas on my counter right now. Maybe I'll try this bread. Thanks!
Wow, kudos to your husband for making banana bread! Funny thing, my husband hates bananas too.
That made me laugh a little. I can just imagine you gagging. You are very silly. I am glad to hear you made it through.
Post a Comment