Tuesday, November 11, 2008

{curiosity killed the cat}

For a long time I could have any conversation I wanted to have, and not worry about little ears. Even when Ryan was out of the toddler stage, he couldn't have cared less about who I was talking to on the telephone, or what our conversation was about. As long as I didn't talk about S-a-n-t-a, I was safe.

Well, times have changed. I'm not sure when it all started, but in the last couple of months I have become increasingly aware of an ever-lingering presence. Ryan has developed a very keen curiosity for anything I am talking about, and with whom I'm talking to. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on the phone, talking to a group of friends, or trying to have a conversation with Rick, I will inevitably hear, "what?", "who?", "what did you say?". Sometimes though, he doesn't always say anything. Instead, he uses his stealth-like-super-power-hearing to just listen.

To be fair, I remember perfectly wanting to know everything my mother said and did. When she tried to speak quietly or privately, it made me even more curious. Being a grown-up seemed so...I don't know, grown up! I was fascinated by that mysterious world, and just getting a glimpse of it was exciting to me.

I suppose it won't hurt to let him in on the conversation--sometimes. It's all just a sign that he's growing up, and I think that's the hardest part.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah and we can't even resort to spelling since now we have two kids that know basic words. And we tried spelling backwards but then I don't know what I'm saying LOL

Effie said...

The exciting news is that in a few years you will have two to keep track of every word. :) All of my kids have went through this although some are move obvious than others.

Say how do you get your comments to show below each of your entries?

Bilary said...

You just hit the nail right on the head! I was just talking to dh about this last night after I had talked to a lady on the phone about PTA stuff. The kids all followed me around the house the whole time, "Mom, who are you talking to? Mom, is it Stephanie? If it is, can Amelia and Tess play? Mom, is it grandma? If it is, can I talk to her?" The list goes on and on....

Maybe we need to get smart as adults and throw them off our "scent" somehow. I got it! Every adult with a child needs to learn Chinese so that the kids can't understand what we are saying. Hehehe.

Or we all just have to get used to locking ourselves in the closet and whispering when we are talking about S-A-N-T-A!:)

Yvonne said...

My youngest is by far my most curious and is very open about wanting to know about EVERYTHING I am talking about--unless it is something that has to do with something he should be doing. In that case, he could care less ; )

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

And I just thought Macy was nosey!

Stephanie Lowe said...

Confession...I think I still do it to my mom!

Melissa said...

I am SO amazed at what my kids hear when I have no idea they are listening! It is Crazy! I, however, did the same thing :)

Megs said...

We were very sad when we could no longer spell word without them understanding. We came up with a cool trick though. Lets say I want to tell Jeron that girl is crazy. I simply spell the word crazy and add a couple extra letters. C-R-A-Z-Y-R-Z-P-A-S. It works every time. Sometimes it even works on Jeron. Haha.

I totally was that kid who wanted to hear what my parents were talking about or any adult for that matter. JJ is the same way.

Jewels said...

You are one lucky girl that he is 10 and starting to do this because I curretnly have a 4 year old you have to be oh so careful around. Good luck on now being a Secretive Santa along with all the other things you want to keep underwraps.

Post a Comment