As soon as November 1st hits, I'm all business. I love every aspect of the holidays, even the preparations. It wouldn't be the same without my lists, lists, and more lists. I look forward to carefully creating and choosing gifts for friends and family, making new Christmas decorations, enjoying traditions, and baking delicious holiday treats, but first comes the planning.
There is something so cozy about making homemade gifts and immersing myself in holiday projects. I have quite a few of them on my list this year, and I think they are the gifts I am most excited about.
There is something so cozy about making homemade gifts and immersing myself in holiday projects. I have quite a few of them on my list this year, and I think they are the gifts I am most excited about.

So, what's on my list? Here are a few of my favorites.
-Rick is building the girls a kitchen, stove, and sink, and I am loving the design phase. I can already picture little stainless steel fixtures, sink, and knobs, a gingham curtain to hide the cupboards under the sink, and maybe even a french door style fridge. I found the most delicious vintage baby beds at a garage sale that I'm going to refinish, and then sew bedding for (with fabric that matches the curtains of the kitchen). I also decided to make ABC books for them, so I'm hunting down pictures for every letter of the alphabet--if you have any ideas, let me know!
-For secrecy's sake, I cannot divulge any family projects, but just know, they are going to be good! (this includes Ryan, since he can read.)
-There are always so many ideas floating around in my head for neighbor/friend gifts, that's it's usually a matter of whittling it down to one. Right now I'm vacillating between two of them, but either one will be yummy!
-Two years ago I decided to completely re-do my tree decorations (for the third time). Last year I had very good intentions to decide what I wanted to do, but having two BUSY one year olds didn't help my cause. In fact, we ended up with just lights on our tree, and even that was pushing it! So, this year I have big plans. I am going to have to add to the tree in phases, but there are a few things I'm working on for this year. I found these fantastic pieces of metal that had been cut into Christmas shapes at a nearby boutique, and immediately pictured them on my tree. I will be drilling holes into the top, and tying ribbon (cranberry reds and this really great green) through to make a loop. Apple slices will also be dried, with the same holes and ribbon. Berry garlands are on my list to be purchased (Target's Home brand has a 9 ft. berry garland--just the right size and color), and will add the final touch. I already have a large metal star for the top, and I can't wait to see how it all comes together.
-Oh, the baking. Really, is there anything that smells better than some delicious holiday treat baking in the oven? I look forward to both the tried and true traditional recipes, and also experimenting with new ones. I'm compiling a list...
I have discovered that when you really take joy in the planning and preparation, it makes the celebration that much sweeter.
13 comments:
I'm looking for some really great homemade candy recipes for Relief Society baskets we are putting together. If you have any tried and true recipes, let me know. I would love it!
Preparation is definitely the key.
You must be so creative--that is so fun. Enjoy.
From one list girl to another...I hear ya! It sounds like you have some really fun weeks ahead of you. Any time you feel like getting together to bake/craft I am game.
Yeah! Is it time?! I love Christmas and the months leading up to it.
I wish I had your ambition this year. I am hurrying to buy and wrap everyone's gifts before December 1st! After that, I may not be worth much :) I am glad you are enjoying the season, it is the Best!!!!
Reading your blog has made me SO excited to get ready for the holiday. I love how organized you are. It makes me smile.
Fun! I think your girls need little matching aprons for their new kitchen, too. And, I think I bookmarked a free chef's hat pattern the other day, too. I'll see if I can find it for ya.
The holidays are so much fun with kids. Sounds like you have some great ideas!
I am HUGE list lover...even more, I LOVE cute notebooks and paper to write it all down! We're going to have to compare lists :)! I'm curious to know your secret projects! We'll have to have a little Christmas pow-wow and share--I need more ideas!
I laughed at your blog at first and not at the craziness of it but how much it reminded me of me. For the girl that almost has Christmas shopping done and the ideas wirtten down for a month I am with you on the lists.
I wish I knew how to be organized...instead I just throw it all together and hope for the best.
I wanna come to your house for the holidays! You have to post a picture of your tree when it is up! I can't wait to see it. It sounds gorgeous! Oh, and a picture of the kitchen as well. How fun! They will love it! :)
It just hit me today that Christmas is coming FAST. I need to start my lists and get thinking about what to do this year.
I am glad Ryan is doing better and is home from the hospital.
Post a Comment