
One of my favorite family traditions is cutting down our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. For years we were in school, and it was both frugality and necessity that required an artificial tree. I was grateful and happy we had it, but I knew as soon as we could, we would have fresh ones. There is something so homey about the smell of fresh pine permeating your home--I love it!
The tree farm we like has a huge barn, filled with sample trees, saws for you to cut down your tree with, and beautiful green wreaths for sale. We always decide which type of tree we want (I like the softer, longer needles...my favorite is Concolor Fir, but since they didn't have them this year, we went with White Pine), then we hop on the hayride that takes us to that particular section of trees. Of course this is the kids favorite part, and they love that the tractor is so huge!
Now the hard part. I take forever to choose which tree I want, and Rick is very patient as he helps me go through the options. Tall and skinny? Short and plump? What's a girl to do?! In the end I always realize that imperfection is charming, and I find a tree that is just right for us.
This year we are going to be famous--as famous as being in our little town's paper gets you! We were approached by a young reporter as we arrived at the tree farm, and he said he was looking for a family to follow as they cut down their tree, then decorated it at home. He asked if we would be willing to be that family, and frankly, I couldn't think of a reason not to. If anything, it would be fun to have someone take a lot of pictures of our family (hopefully he'll give me the ones he doesn't use too), and document this tradition. We were supposed to act natural, but really, who can act totally natural when there is a camera two feet away snapping picture after picture? The girls were oblivious of course, and the rest of us just did our best. He will becoming to our house on Sunday afternoon for decorating the tree and making sugar cookies, and since we extended the invitation to his wife, hopefully she will come too. I hope he's ready!
10 comments:
You're famous! Hopefully you'll get some fun pictures out of the experience!
I love the new header!
What a fun tradition.
No real tree for us this year since we will be gone for a week at Christmas. (I will miss the smell ; )
Sounds like a fun experience with the reporter--enjoy tomorrow. I hope he gets some great shots.
That place sounds awesome. I wonder if there is anything like that here. If not there should be!
You will have to give DETAILS about you exciting "Famous" adventure. Enjoy!
How fun!! Whre do you get your tree from? We always get ours for FHE the Monday after Thnksgiving but your place sounds way more fun!
How Fun!!! I can't wait to see your famous write-up!!! No pressure on the tree.....haha!
How fun!!! Props to you for having a real one - maybe one day we will give it a shot :) I'm excited to see it all decked out this year!
What a special tradition. Your children will always remember it. Can't wait to hear more about the filming and decorating.
How fun!
How fun!!! Does this reporter realize that he stumbled across the most perfect fanily to do this with? Not only are you guys totally cute, but you treasure traditions like this and you have the most FABULOUS plans for your tree!!! I can't wait to see the article when it comes out...let me know when!!!
I am jealous! I wish that I weren't such a chicken! I am always afraid of burning my house down because that would just be my luck. We used to always have a fresh-cut tree when I was growing up and I love the smell! You will hae to post a picture of it when it is decorated! I bet you do a beautiful job!
Post a Comment