Monday, November 24, 2008

{my sister}


We were riding home today from the Santa Parade (yes, before Thanksgiving), when I heard a little voice from the back say "my sister is asleep". Sure enough, I looked back and Emma was totally out. That might not seem like anything big, but it's the first time I heard Kate refer to Emma as her sister, and it was adorable.

Circumstances have thrown them together since birth, and since the beginning they have been on the same schedule--eating, sleeping, and playing. Clothes have been no exception--they have dressed exactly alike (including their hair) minus a very few occasions (due to sickness a couple times, and Halloween 2008). They are always together, and life as a twin is certainly not lonely. With a built in playmate, they have lived this life together at almost every moment.

There is nothing sweeter than hearing a little voice call out to her sister when she first wakes up, when she's hurt or sad, or when she doesn't see her in the room. If I give one a snack or treat, she automatically wants another one for her sister. Now of course, it's not smiles and sunshine ALL the time (shocking, I know). They can love with the best of them, but they definitely have their moments. Breaking up little squabbles is now a part of my life, but thankfully they are short-lived and they are soon on their way to loving each other again.

As their mom, I have realized that there are things I need to do that will not only cultivate their relationship, but the relationship I have with them together and separately: 1. buy everything in twos :); 2. encourage their differences, and celebrate their similarities; 3. spend time individually with them; 4. never compare one to the other; 5. love them each for who they are.

They are a delight, and I am so happy I get to see them grow up!




13 comments:

Erica said...

So sweet. I waited 13 years for a sibling and now I have 2 sisters and I absolutely love it. There's always something special between sisters. Hopefully Brooklyn gets one one day! Until then I guess Emma and Kate will have to substitute :) They are the cutest and I adore that last picture. Too cute!

Melanie said...

I watched this post go up, because I was on my blog, and I started tear-ing up reading it, because H&K are already starting to do these things, and it rang true. I love that if one sees me give something to the other, she waits patiently & expectantly, because she knows she's just as important, and something is coming for her. And taking a newly found pacifier (off limits except for bed) to her sister, or contraband snack... it's priceless.

What beautiful daughters you have. I can hardly wait to have enough hair on mine to do their "do's." Have a great Thanksgiving, and thank you for sharing! =)

Melanie said...

OK, read the blog post I do in the next few minutes. Talk about contraband snack.

Anonymous said...

that is so sweet!! And how cute.

Jane said...

They are just so cute! I love my sister...it was just her and I amongst our 10 brothers.

Your dd's are adorable, I love how it shows how much they love each other!!

Stephanie Lowe said...

They really are so sweet together! I love how you can celebrate both their similarities and differences. It must be so facinating to see them grow up together and the dynamics that they develop. I heart the "twinnies"!

Our Family Adventures said...

Truly, they could not be cuter. I can't wait until we can all be together and play again!!!

Yvonne said...

There are simply adorable. That is so sweet.

There is something so great about sisters.

Eliza said...

Of course I remember you. What a cute family you have as well. It is so fun to find old friends. I love blogs! I'll be back. :)

Swimmingmom said...

Your girls are absolutley darling! What a sweet post. I had tears in my eyes. Seems like such a special little family.

Megs said...

That post was so sweet. I always wanted to be twin. I love it. I hope they live close all their life. It really is the sweetest thing.

SOFTLEY FAMILY said...

Being a twin myself I know how wonderful that relationship is. You are blessed to witness it and they are blessed to have it. How lovely your family is!!! So nice to catch up with you through your blog. Your house is beautiful and I love that area.

Pamela said...

The girls are so cute! They are getting so big! I cant wait to see them!

Post a Comment