Wednesday, November 5, 2008

{glad to be home}


After two days and nights in the hospital with Ryan, it is so wonderful to be home again, with him safe and sound.

He was pretty sick all through Sunday night, into Monday morning. For a kid who rarely throws up, he was certainly making up for lost time. Unfortunately, what probably would just have been a stomach virus to most of us, actually ended up being pretty serious for him.
When you are diabetic, being ill and losing fluids can result in Diabetic ketoacidosis, and that's exactly what happened with Ryan.

I took him into the ER on Monday afternoon, and he was admitted later that evening. I was really scared that first night, but thanks to a top-notch doctor, wonderful nurses, staff, and hospital, he is home and doing well. He is still being monitored very closely, and we will be continuing hourly blood sugar checks through the night, but it could have been so much worse.
Having a Nintendo 64, plenty of DVDs, and a well-stocked menu at his disposal almost (but not quite) made up for the dozens of pokes he got over his stay there. To be honest, he was extremely brave, and I am so proud of how he handled everything.

Despite the circumstances, we had some great moments together, and as a family. Playing Sorry and checkers, watching movies together in his bed (including the whole family one night, minus dad...he was on a chair next to us), and talking walks up and down the hall will remain some of my favorite memories ever.

-They take a picture of all the patients and their parent to keep in their chart during their stay, and this is ours. Poor Ryan--you can tell he doesn't feel good, and there I am, smiling away!

22 comments:

lyn said...

Oh - that's no fun for anyone! I'm so sorry he was admitted. I'm glad you're all home now.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

So glad you're home and that he's on the mend!

And, I adore his hair. I'm a major sucker for red hair.

Yvonne said...

I am so glad he is doing better and you are home.

What a brave young man.

bluestocking mama said...

glad he's home. poor guy!

Stephanie Lowe said...

What an unexpected ordeal! I'm so glad that Ryan is doing better and that he's home!!

Andi said...

So glad you're all home...!

Nikki said...

Wow, it's crazy how our bodies work. You just never know. I am glad he is home and doing better. He is such a good looking kid.

Carn Family said...

We are so glad he is home and feeling better. We have been praying for him. What some tender moments together!

likeschocolate said...

Wow! I am glad he is doing better. I never thought about what a flu could do to someone who is diabetic. Hugs!!!!!

one busy mom said...

Your comments brought tears to my eyes. What a scary thing for a child to go through. And what a good mom you are!! You're in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

so glad you are home and he's getting better. You have such a postive attitude for a hospital stay.

Megs said...

Oh...I feel your pain. Ellie seems to just get a little sicker then most kids. I always feel so bad. Have you noticed how one night in the hospital feels like a month? What is that about?

I am so happy to hear he is home and safe. Brave boy!

Jewels said...

It is so scary to have a child in the hospital, it is the unknown that is scary. What is going to happen next? When will be able to go home? and on and on.....

I am so glad to hear he is home and well and from the picture it looked like you handled it like a trooper.

Melissa said...

I am so grateful he is home! Life can be so scary at moments. I hope he continues to do well, and I hope you are feeling a bit better too :)

Lyndi said...

oh, i'm so glad he's home and doing better! i hope you all get some rest soon that i'm sure you're all in need of! :)

Effie said...

I am so glad to hear that Ryan is doing better. Sorry to hear that you had such a scary start to the week.
I have to tell you, I appreciate that you take the time to write on my blog. I always wonder if anyone ever looks because only you and a few other friends ever leave a note.
My sister said to tell you that she loves your blog. She gets to you through mine and she is totally amazed with you. You are so incredible.

luckyduck said...

Hi, there! I'm starting to blog and remembered you had one too so I was just checking it out. Sorry to hear about Ryan's trip to the ER and glad to hear he's all better now. You'll have to give me some tips on how to improve my blog since yours look awesome!

myndie said...

what a trooper! i'm glad he is doing better. your halloween sounded fun and the kids looked adorable!

Bilary said...

I'm so sorry. The poor guy. He looks like he really is trying to be brave.

I'm glad that he is feeling better and that you are home with him. I hope he continues to get better!:)

And can I just say that for a mommy with a kid in the hospital you look fabulous!

lackrik said...

Awe man! Poor guy!

Glad he's doing better.........

emlouisa said...

I'm glad he's home!!!

Jana said...

Ugh! No fun. Glad he is home and doing better!

Post a Comment