Tuesday, December 16, 2008

{the apple and the tree}




Do you ever have those moments with your kids, when you look at them, and it's just like looking at yourself?

Reading has long been a passion of mine. I have always been a voracious reader, and even since I was a small child, I could never get enough. I read everywhere--in the car, at the kitchen table while I was eating (I would even resort to the phone book or the cereal box in times of desperation), literally anywhere and anytime I could. My junior library card allowed me to check out 10 books at a time, and I would read those in a day or two. We usually went once a week, and I would end up either reading those books over again, or pulling some of my favorites off the shelf until I was able to go again. Even now, whenever we move to a new town, the first thing I check out is the library. Once it passes the test, I know I can live there!

I have always hoped that this love of books would pass on to my children, and while all of them have a keen interest, Emma is the most like me of all. She is fascinated by any and all books, and has to carry them around everywhere she goes. She doesn't limit herself though, and has even acquired a taste for magazines, catalogs, and the occasional cookbook.

Recently I had her with me at the library, and I happened to be in the Young Adult literature section looking for a specific book. Emma pulled down a book from the shelf to look at, and it happened to be a teen suspense novel--not a picture to be found. She insisted on checking it out, and I (not wanting to cause a scene with a 2 year old about checking out a teen book, and after quickly perusing the pages for any unseemly material) let her. Over the next few days it traveled with us to the grocery store, church, and anywhere we needed to be. She would open the book, look at the words on the page, then turn to the next page, seemingly soaking up every bit of it. We even found her early one morning in the rocking chair, sitting all by herself, turning page by page, and totally absorbed.

So, when she insists on reading my sewing magazine over her morning bowl of Cheerios, hefting 10 books to read in church, or is begging me to read "one more", I just smile--because I know just how she feels.

10 comments:

Erica said...

what a fabulous interest to have! that girl's gonna be one little smartie - just like her momma :)

Melissa said...

That is one of the best gifts you can give your child. It is a passion she will carry forever!

Bilary said...

What a good thing to pick up from her mommy. You've done a good thing. And I love the pictures. She looks so sweet and grown up in them.

Yvonne said...

Oh, I love it. Isn't that so fun. Such a great picture--and what a great gift to pass on.

Andi said...

Totally can relate. Tate laughs at me because I read while blow drying my hair. You understand! Those precious moments that you can multi-task!

I also understand that she wants to have "older" books. Paige currently has Junie B. Jones, Boxcar Children, and an ABC Mystery series on her shelf. We read a few chapters each day and she loves it! (And I love it!)

luckyduck said...

The pictures are priceless! I love to read too and Charlie has also picked up on reading. We always have something to read at the table.

Christy said...

What an adorable picture! Soon enough you two will be comparing notes on Twilight!! ;)

Megs said...

That is so cute. I wish when my kids copied me it was a cute story like that. My kids yell like me though. That is impressive! Ellie does talk on the cell phone just like I do. Again not so much a good thing.

Lei said...

That is the cutest thing... I mean, really! Can I have her?

sheri said...

That's so cute!
While Kelly loves to read, I usually find her mimicking me by pretending to talk on the phone while writing on a paper at the dining room table. *sigh*

Post a Comment