Sunday, December 6, 2009

{a new tradition}


Yesterday I was able to fulfill a tradition that I have always, always wanted to do---take my girls to see the Nutcracker ballet.

They are just 3 years old, and we all know how long their attention spans can be, but since it only comes to our small town every three years, I was just too impatient to wait for the next one to come around. I wasn't sure how it would go, so I just planned ahead of time that it would be okay if we had to leave early.

We dressed up, then met our friends for lunch (other moms and their girls) first before heading to the theater for the matinee.

It was SO fun. The theater was packed with people, all dressed up, and everything was decorated so festively. I can't even explain the excitement in the air as we made our way to our seats--just 30 feet from the stage. Some of the programs had coloring pages in the them, and they handed out crayons at the door...SMART.

Then the lights went down, the music started to play, and the show was on.
The girls did pretty well for the first little while. Kate was asking a million questions, which I'm fine with, but her cute little voice can really carry, so I was trying to get her to use her church voice. That was the problem I guess, since that's how loud she talks there too! They were fascinated by the mice, and by the special effects that were used. They loved the sparkly tutus that the ballerinas wore, and told me me how much they wanted one just like it.

After an hour, they were hitting their maximum. They were getting really antsy, and Kate had to go to the bathroom again (despite already going beforehand). I was glad they made it to the intermission, but I knew it was time to make our exit. I believe in theater etiquette, and I didn't want to bother all the other patrons that wanted to enjoy the show. I would have loved to have stayed, but I was doing it for them, and I knew the day was a success.



They had a great time, and are still talking about it. This will definitely be a tradition that I hope will last for years to come.

10 comments:

Erica said...

so fun! maybe we can go together when it comes again ;)

likeschocolate said...

So jealous! I just might have to come with you guys next time. No way would my boys go.

Melanie said...

Yeah for theater etiquette. And what a great tradition!

Yvonne said...

That must have been so fun. The girls look so cute.

Great job on the theater etiquette.

Stephanie Lowe said...

I'm so glad the girls had such a great time! They were so cute as they got excited about what came on stage. The first half was the best part anyway :)! What a fun day!

AngelaW said...

I am not jealous :(

I so relate to the talking during the show. We took Jack to A Christmas Carol over Thanksgiving. He kept talking back to the Scrouge. It was funny and embarassing! Also if I told my boys to use their church voices we would have been kicked out for sure.

Swimmingmom said...

Great tradition. I was telling my mom that I had great plans to do this with my girls - attending the Boston Ballet each Dec. to see the Nutcracker. She has foiled my plans and she already "has it all planned out. Me with my 2 grandaugthers.". I guess I'm not invited.

Glad they had a good time. They look adorable!

eight happy "hardts" said...

You are amazing! This sounds like it was a blast, what a great tradition.
I wonder if your kids know how lucky they are to have a mom like you.

Nettie said...

Sounds like a very special day! And good for you for being flexible enough to make the even fit them and not the other way around!

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

Your girls are so beautiful!! :) I betcha that not-so-quiet carrying voice is so darling too, but I understand not loving it during the ballet lol :) We went to the nutcracker for the first time ever this year with Make-a-Wish :) It was a dress rehearsal, but still lots of fun. I thought Lily would LOVE it, but she kept asking if it was almost over. Surprisingly, DJ, my barely two year old, was the one who seemed the most actively engaged in the performance? :) Glad you got to go and hope it's memorable tradition!

Post a Comment