Tuesday, January 12, 2010

{I can wait}

(Please ignore the spit up on their clothes. That's what I get for taking their bibs off to take their pictures. )

When Ryan was a baby, I was always in a hurry---in a hurry for him to roll over, to eat solid foods, crawl, walk, talk...and the list goes on.

Well, things have changed. I want my boys to meet their milestones, but I'm not in a rush for that to happen. Right now, I'm in what I call the "twin honeymoon phase". It's the time from when they sleep through the night, until they become mobile.

For example:
  • I can actually take a shower and not worry about locking them in the bathroom with me, or waiting until they are napping.
  • My regular routine during the day has continued pretty much as normal (adding in feedings, putting down for naps, etc.), while they look on from their Bumbos, swings, or blankets.
  • No baby gates, or worrying about life-threatening falls down the stairs. Or conspiracies to help each over or under the gate.
  • Feeding time is easy--4 bottles a day, plus a little rice cereal with bananas added in.
  • When I put them down, they stay there!
  • They are still in infant seats, hooray! Once they make the transition into toddler seats, my life changes. No more keeping them asleep as we run errands, or go to church. It's a whole new ballgame getting 2 babies that can't walk in and out of the car, into stores, or into the house by myself. However, Henry is quickly approaching the limits for his car seat, so I'm praying we just make it at least until March. I can't even imagine church with two girlies, and two babies that need to be held the whole time.
Plus, I love having babies. That age between 5 and 9 months is one of my favorites...lots of smiles, happiness, and chubbiness. It's also the time that goes the fastest, and it always seems that before I know it, they have turned 1, and become toddlers. (Which I love too, btw, but the baby stage is much more elusive.)

I am savoring every moment. I am enjoying each and every day, and even when it's hard, and I'm tired (and maybe haven't showered for a day or two or three), I am trying to remember that time will pass, and then I will wish it back again.

So, I can wait.

JACK:




HENRY:





9 comments:

Yvonne said...

You are a very wise woman--it will all pass so quickly, so ENJOY.

I love babies, too. They sure look like the girls. They are all so adorable.

Jana said...

I totally agree!!!

Stephanie Lowe said...

I could totally gobble up that adorable squishiness!!! Enjoy it all :)

Swimmingmom said...

So sweet. Great post- ITA. This has been on my mind too. With my first I couldn't wait for the next stage to come, now I feel I'm holding on, embracing it, savoring it. I didn't know how much I LOVE this stage. What cuties you have!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

They're seriously precious. I want to squish them!

Melanie said...

Kierste! I didn't realize the twin honeymoon stage would end (EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE #5&6!!!) So just when I started thinking my life was getting easier, they went mobile - AAAHHHH!!! I wanted to pull my hair out. And poke my eyes out. I'm so happy for you that you can see the stage and revel in it. Yay for showers!!! They are so handsome and sweet. =)

Kathryn said...

I too am savoring these moments. I KNOW they go too fast. People tell me it gets easier. I have to laugh. Little do they know. This is the easy.

Erica said...

love that picture of henry smiling in the end - so cute!

and i think henry might already be outgrowing his new bumbo as well ;)

SOFTLEY FAMILY said...

I CAN WAIT TOO! 5 kids does that to you. I'm enjoying baby #5 sooo much and I'm not in a hurry for anything. I'm just a little sad she's already a year old.

Post a Comment