Wednesday, June 20, 2012

{eagle scout}

What a journey.

Monday night was one of the most exciting, scary, and proud moments of life, when the District Scout Council bestowed upon Ryan the title of Eagle Scout.  

It was the culmination of several years of hard work, especially the last six months. Despite being only 13, he really wanted to complete it before we moved to Texas, so he could finish up with all the leaders that have worked so hard and tirelessly to help him along the way.   All of his scouting experiences have been here in Midland, and it seemed appropriate to finish them here as well.  He was done with his merit badges quite awhile ago, but it has taken that long to get his project planned, coordinated, and completed, along with MOUNDS of paperwork. Ryan and I worked together on it, and I have to say, they have been some of my favorite moments with him---ones I will treasure.  

Rick was out of town on Monday night, so I piled all the kids in the car and we headed to a church downtown where the District Council would be interviewing Ryan, and conducting the Board of Review.  He had a wonderful leader come and serve as his troop representative, and he even did a little babysitting with his iPad, too. ☺ The district rep came out and explained everything to Ryan--exactly how it would work, the order that it would go in, and even told him his first two questions, so he could start mentally preparing.  She was so kind, and worked really hard to make him feel as relaxed as possible.  When it came time, I wasn't able to go with him, but his troop leader could, and we were both glad of it.  I kissed him, squeezed his hand, told him I loved him, wished him luck, and watched him walk away.

The kids and I had a while to wait, so we took a walk downtown, where there was plenty to keep them entertained.  We had a great time, but we will have to work on the notion that you need a parent to cross the street, especially when you are two years old.  





When we got back, they still weren't finished yet, which meant trying to keep them all quiet in a small area, and stop them from running up and down the very long and apparently irresistible hallways.  Finally, he and his leader came out, and we all waited together while the council discussed Ryan, and came to a final decision.  About ten minutes later, we were all invited back in, where they gave us the GREAT news! I started to cry--it was a very emotional experience for me. There is just nothing like watching your child work so hard on something, and the see them achieve their goal--it was wonderful. I wish I had a picture of Ryan's face--he just could not stop grinning!



He requested Dairy Queen afterward--I think he definitely deserved it.  

Congratulations, Ryan--we love you!  



8 comments:

Andi said...

Congrats to Ryan (and you!)! Having come from a family of eagle scouts, I appreciate that this is a huge achievement. Best wishes as you prepare to move! Lots of love.

Price is Right said...

great job Ryan! that is totally awesome!!

Carn Family said...

Way to go Ryan! I would ask where he gets his hard work ethic from but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one :)

likeschocolate said...

Way to go Ryan! How exciting! You are the best!

luckyduck said...

That's awesome! Congratulations, Ryan!

Andee said...

That's unreal that he was able to get that at 13!!! He must have been working on it EVERY day! Way to go! That's awesome!

ForeverCurly said...

Ryan, you are AMAZING!!! Congratulations!!! You are wonderful!! Love you all!

Erica said...

way to go!!!

Post a Comment