Sunday, June 10, 2012

{no one is born alpha}

You might be wondering if a mud race is any fun at all, but I'm here to tell you it's a BLAST!  We joined some of our closest friends in one of the most fun races I've ever participated in, an AlphaRace.


It was 4 miles of running, mud and military obstacles, which included scaling 8  foot walls, cargo nets, climbing ropes, crossing a river on a rope, and the big finale...a 200 foot slip-n-slide that ended in an army crawl through a giant mud pit to the finish line.  The best part?  It was at 10 o' clock at night, and we ran through the pitch dark forest with only our headlamps to light the way.  The environment was made even better due by very rainy night (which was preceded by a very rainy day), which of course, meant lots and lots of mud.



It was seriously so fun, and actually kind of seems like a dream.  We were pretty muddy at the end of the race, but the slip and slide washed most of it away, so you can't really tell from the pictures. In actuality, we were totally soaked, cold to the core, and ready for a hot shower!  It really was one of the best nights of my life, and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to have this experience with these friends before we move away. I will never forget it--as long as I live! Can't wait to do it again! 

.....

The next morning, the girls participated in the AlphaRace for kids, and they were super excited, especially after we told them all about it.  





They did so well, and Rick and I had a great time running with them.  Way to go, girls! 

Who knew mud could be so much fun?  :)


7 comments:

Andee said...

There's a race like that here and it's called the dirty dash. My hubby's family did it last year and have been trying to talk me into it ever since! They LOVED it! I think it seems crazy, but I guess it's one of those things you just have to try once. But since I am FAR from a runner I'll have to stew on it! Glad you had a neat experience!

likeschocolate said...

I think it might be fun, but why at night?

Company EIGHT said...

Kelleyn--

They had the race both in the day and the night, but we thought it would be more fun to do the race at night, with headlamps--add a little more difficulty and adventure to it. We were right!

Yvonne said...

Fun, fun, fun. But I don't think I could ever do it--I'd be too afraid of getting hurt!!!!

I love that the little girls did it, too. Way to go, girls.

Carn Family said...

I am still finding bruises in really odd locations that I don't even remember hurting. I guess I was just having too much fun. Seriously...the best night ever!

Erica said...

Too much fun! So sad we missed out :( You definitely need to plan your trip back here right around race time so we all can do it next year!!!

Jana said...

I want to do a run like this! It looks like so much fun and what a great way to relieve stress! Nothing like getting good and muddy!!

Post a Comment