We have a tradition in our family that we have affectionately dubbed "Sunday Treat". My boys especially love this tradition, and it is a very effective leverage tool during church. :) We take turns choosing what we make that day, and we love trying new recipes as well as enjoying our favorites.
Yesterday it was Rick's turn to choose, and I suggested one of his favorites, Apple Crisp. I am always on the hunt for a good "crisp", and I stumbled upon one in a recent issue of Family Fun. It was actually for a Pear Crisp, so I adapted it for apples. It was SO delicious, and definitely one that we will be keeping around. The following recipe is my adapted recipe, including a doubled topping amount. Everyone in our family loves the "crisp" the best!!
THE ULTIMATE APPLE CRISP!Yesterday it was Rick's turn to choose, and I suggested one of his favorites, Apple Crisp. I am always on the hunt for a good "crisp", and I stumbled upon one in a recent issue of Family Fun. It was actually for a Pear Crisp, so I adapted it for apples. It was SO delicious, and definitely one that we will be keeping around. The following recipe is my adapted recipe, including a doubled topping amount. Everyone in our family loves the "crisp" the best!!
FILLING:
6 c. Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. flour
TOPPING:
2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a shallow 9x13 inch glass or ceramic casserole dish and set aside.
2. Combine the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss them well. Spread the fruit evenly in the casserole and bake it for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combined the flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, cinnamon, and salt in the mixing bowl and toss them well.a Add the butter, then use your fingers to rub the ingredients together until everything is blended.
4. Remove the casserole from the oven and spread the topping evenly over the fruit. Return it to the oven and bake the crisp until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream! Makes about 8 servings.
2 comments:
Looks so yummy. I say I am a fan of apple pie but I really just like the yummy apples inside and not the crust so much. This apple crisp looks like it would be a perfect fit for me. Thanks for sharing!
Oh yum, I've been in a "crisp" mood lately, so I'm going to have to try this one out!
Post a Comment