Thursday, January 8, 2009

{first trip to the dentist}




I awoke with some trepidation this morning, as it started to sink in that I was taking two 2 year olds to the dentist for the first time. Those of you that have done this before know that it is not unlike taking a roll of the dice, and hoping you get lucky. You don't know if they will cooperate, cry, open their mouth, sit on the chair, be afraid of all the noisy equipment, or accidentally bite the hygienist. After my experience with a very gun shy first child, I was preparing myself for the worst. I took every precaution, and talked it up for days. I explained all about the nice dentist, the treasure chest full of prizes, and the fact that they would get their very own toothbrush and toothpaste. I was just hoping that it would have some kind of impact when we actually got there.

When we walked back with our hygienist, the girls were glued to my side. Even after a demonstration of the chair, all the equipment, and the hot pink sunglasses they would get to wear, they were having no part of it. I asked who was going to be first, and Kate said "Emma!". So, I went and sat down on the chair so they would see that it wasn't going to hurt them, and might be kind of fun! Kate was intrigued, and decided she would go for it, if she could sit on my lap. She did so well! Her teeth were counted (20) and polished, and she even sat alone to see the dentist when she came in.


Emma took a little more convincing. She was still huddled against the wall when her turn came, but she finally came closer to inspect those hot pink sunglasses. Her cleaning went smoothly, and we only encountered some major resistance when the dentist came in to check things out.



The tooth bags were a huge hit, along with all the loot they got to put inside them. I breathed a huge sigh of relief as we walked out the door, and felt happy they did so well. Now, the only thing about the dentist, is that you have to take them back in 6 months!!

13 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Glad it went well. Our dentist had us fill out a questionnaire about how we thought our kid might react. We picked "belligerent". We were right.

Anonymous said...

YAY for your girls!! I took my 3 oldest kids right before school started. They asked me how I thought it would be and I said, "I have no idea" They all did great though.

Yvonne said...

I'm so glad it was a good experience. Sounds like you have a wonderful dental office to visit.

Alissa said...

we just did this on Tuesday. Finally, Miles (the 3 year old) didn't bite the fingers of the poor dental hygienist assigned to him. I also didn't have to pin him down. It was progress.

And no cavities... which is like money in my pocket!

Our Family Adventures said...

I am glad you had a good experience! My kids love the dentist, sounds like yours might too!

Carn Family said...

I am so glad the first trip went well. Usually if you can get them to like it the first time each time after that is easy! Love the pink sunglasses.

luckyduck said...

I'm SO glad it went well. I still need to find a dentist in town.

likeschocolate said...

Love the coats and the bag. Glad it went well. We have one who hates the dentist and thus he has a mouth full of cavities. I now have to take him to a Pediodentist to get them fixed. $$$$

SOFTLEY FAMILY said...

First dentist trip and potty training...you are an ambitious and busy woman.

Swimmingmom said...

LOVE the expression on Emma's face. Not too sure if she was ready for what was about to happen. Looks like you have a great dentist!

Stephanie Lowe said...

Oh the dentist!!! I'm so glad they did well! It's so nice when you don't have to close doors because of the screaming, and you don't have to put your children in strait jackets to get their teeth cleaned! And we get to repeat this every 6 months!!! Yay for awesome twinnies and an awesome mom!!!

sheri said...

rofl at Char's comment.
Kelly needs to go still. She turned 3 back in August. *sigh*
And I know I should comment more regarding dental issues, but those brown coats in the last picture? LOVE!

Eliza said...

cutest coats EVER!!!!

Post a Comment