Wednesday, January 21, 2009

{survival mode}

When you're married to a CPA, you just come to expect certain things. The biggest of all is that come the first of January, widowhood and single motherhood is the name of the game. Usually "busy season" lasts two months, January and February(he is on the audit side, not tax).

This year,(lucky us) it is extended through March. I have a strong tendency just to go into survival mode. Dinners get quicker and easier, bedtimes are moved up, and most of my projects get put to the side. I live for Girls Nights Out, talking to my friends and family (who save me from the loony bin), and small outings.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Rick has a great job--one he loves, and one that is very good to us. We are very grateful for it, and the security it provides. He doesn't have to travel a lot during the year, and most of the time, he has a really normal schedule. I suppose that's why this is such an adjustment--it follows a such a period of normalcy, it's like a shock to the system.

Recently my friend Andi blogged about single mommyhood, and not being "the fun one". I completely relate. My days are filled with potty training, homework, discipline, piano practice, and all the other practical parts of being a parent. By the time evening arrives, all I want to do is collapse on the couch! Weekends are the hardest though--dad makes everything right, and is for sure the one that keeps things fun. Now I'm not saying that I'm never fun, because I certainly have my moments, but I tend to be the one with the list, on a mission, filled with things that need to be accomplished.

This is the type of thing that he does--I never want to mess the couch up, because then I have to clean it up! :)



In a nutshell, we all miss him.

17 comments:

Our Family Adventures said...

It is wonderful having a great dad/husband! I hope these next few weeks fly by quickly. I was excited for him when I saw the Steelers won!!! I can't wait for GNO :)

Andi said...

My mom usually tells my dad every January, "nice to know you... see you in April." He's a tax accountant.

Best wishes surviving.

Rob and Toni said...

I'm pretty sure that Rob will be a lot like Rick when we have kids. He already is fun with our nieces and nephews and I'm definitely more serious, but no claim to organized for me.

Yvonne said...

It will go by quickly--I'm sure.

Love the picture of the girls--too cute.

Erica said...

I'm here for you girl! You know I'm always up for a good time :)

sheri said...

Holy cute pictures! I can feel the fun, lol

luckyduck said...

Someone's gotta keep the family and house in order! Hope the next few months pass quickly for you.

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

awwwwwww cute pic! :) I SO wish I could take you on a Girls Nite Out! I hope you have some great friends to do that for you (I'm sure you do). And I am glad that Rick is such a great husband/father to you guys :)

likeschocolate said...

Try being a single mom all year round. I know what you mean. The only thing that keeps me from going crazy these days is looking forward to the housekeepers who come every two weeks that clean the areas I just don't have time for. BYW: I LOVE LOVE THE SOFA. Where did you find it??

Tammy said...

HI, My name is Tammy and I love your cute blog. I have been reading it for some time now. You have such a sweet family. I am a mom of 8 children and my husband is an accountant too. I feel your pain. I just dread the winter. I live in a place that is having a very, very cold winter (-20C). I am not fond of the cold and certainly not fond of the singlemomminess. But we did it last year and we will do it again this year, right. One foot in front of the other. Best of Luck to us both.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I can't imagine!

Also, you know I have denim couches, right? And did you know the paint on the walls in that room is almost the exact same color as yours?

Company EIGHT said...

Char--

I always knew you had great taste. :)

Carn Family said...

I feel for you. I know what it is like to not have a hubby around. Bed time is the best time of the night. It always amazes me that after years of picinics and crafts and reading book after book after book that when I walk in the door it is no big deal but when dad comes home it is like they have not seen him in 3 years. Ahhh the joys of motherhood. Good thing for GNO's or I would be in the loony bin!

Swimmingmom said...

Hope you find some extra fun during these longer months are are tough enough already with the typical winter blues. I love reading your blog and get so many fun and cute ideas from you. Thanks for always sharing with us.

Stephanie Lowe said...

Here's to lots of Girls Nights Out and chocolate ice cream :)

bluestocking mama said...

the pic made me laugh! good luck over the next month or so. i remember those days. they can get kind of lonely

eight happy "hardts" said...

Isn't it a great thing that we are not expected to do it alone. We sure need each other to raise a family. I sure hope this time passes quickly for you. When you are bored stop by and visit. I would love it.

Post a Comment