Wednesday, January 7, 2009

{obsession}


We seem to have collected a new member of the family over the past few weeks, and she is definitely the most popular of all. She comes with us to church, rides in the car, plays a major part of the bedtime routine, helps brush teeth, and is quite entertaining in some way most of the day.

I don't really know how the selection process was made, but something about Dora the Explorer has captured my girls' attention in every possible way. When we go to the library, every.single.book they check out is about her. "Swiper, no swiping!", "Oh, man!", "Map", "Backpack", and "Boots" are a regular part of their vocabulary, and usually is a part of any ongoing conversation with either one of them.

Watching them has brought me back to my childhood, when it was all about Strawberry Shortcake. Man, she had style!
Oh my, how I loved her. I had the dolls, a breakfast tray (still have it), ate the cereal, watched the show, and my mom even made me a Strawberry Shortcake costume. I adored her, and I have to admit, when she came back into circulation a few years ago, I really wanted to buy something!

So, I'm perfectly happy to indulge this childhood rite of passage. I remember exactly what it's like.

14 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I was in love with Barbie. It is too bad I can't convince the boys to play with me. I guess leggos, rescue heros, and pokemon will have to do.

Erica said...

So cute! I too remember loving Strawberry Shortcake - I had her pillowcase growing up :) but nothing could top Barbie for me!

Yvonne said...

It's so fun to have those memories--think of the great memories your girls will have of Dora ; )

Megs said...

You are nice. i am still trying to get my girls to love Strawberry as much as I did. I think Barbie is their best friend though. UGH!

luckyduck said...

It's funny how kids get so into something. For Charlie, it's all about Thomas the Tank Engine.

Company EIGHT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Company EIGHT said...

I never even owned a Barbie! Crazy, huh? I suppose because of that it's never crossed my mind to buy them for my girls.

Lyndi said...

Yup, Dora is a regular at our place too! In fact, Gabi had a Dora cake last year. It's a fun show; not too annoying, and Gabi speaks more Spanish now too! :) I just love it when she says "arriba" or "vamos!" Too funny. I love that your girls have conversations about it - Gabi would love to join in!

Wife and Mama said...

Strawberry Shortcake is on Kewlopolis on CBS, Saturday mornings. We LOVE Strawberry Shortcake - She is just so wholesome!

http://www.kewlopolis.com/home/straw.htm

smart mama said...

I still haev all my ss dolls- tehy rock adn still smell pretty tasty after all these years!

Jana said...

Oooooh, I love Strawberry Shortcake too! I had the strawberry house which I loved!!

My kids love Dora as well and it makes me laugh when they try to speak spanish! It just doesn't sound as good as Dora's!

Swimmingmom said...

I had a Strawberry Shortcake Barbie that had red hair that smelled like Strawberries (well, sort of...). Your girls seem so cute.

Stephanie Lowe said...

This obsession is definitely a rite of passage! I was completely into Strawberry and my mom pulled out all my old ratty dolls! I even had a bendy purple-pie man that the girls LOVE and you can't find it anymore...maybe on ebay...Anyway, I'm glad that I can transfer my obessions onto the girls!

sheri said...

Oh my gosh, I had the breakfast tray, too! I can VIVIDLY remember all the details of it, too. *sigh*
And Kelly's actually more into Boots than Dora. Go figure.

Post a Comment