Monday, September 14, 2009

{ballerinas}


I was 6 or 7 years old. Just imagine a shiny-blue-fringy-stretchy-sequiny costume, and the song "Uptown Girl". It was my debut performance, as well as my finale. With my interests lying much more with sports (and my talents as well), I traded in the dance shoes for shin guards and cleats. I was a tomboy, through and through.

Fast forward 20+ years, and two cute little girls later. To my surprise, I went a little crazy when they were born. Bows, flowers, bracelets, clothes, shoes...I was more girly than I had ever been in my life. Last fall, I got on the waiting list for the dance teacher I wanted a full year in advance, just to make sure we got in.We even went on a special girls' shopping trip to buy ballet shoes, and have been looking forward to their first class all summer.

So, today was finally the day! They were dressed and ready to go almost 2 hours before we had to leave, and they kept on asking when they could put their shoes on.

Once we got there, I realized there isn't much cuter than a group of 3 year olds on stage--lifting their arms, pointing their toes, and learning how to curtsy.

So, who knows if this will be something they love to do, or if they want to continue. Maybe they will want to trade in their ballet slippers for another type of shoe, and if they do, I will be just as excited about that.

But for now, I am relishing all the pink, tutus, and ballet slippers. Who knew girls could be so much fun?



14 comments:

Yvonne said...

When my 25 y.o. was 5 she took ballet--really the only year she took dance. She was much more a tomboy until she got to BYU then she took every dance class she could. She absolutely loves dance today.

Have fun--THEY LOOK ADORABLE.

Melanie said...

Girls are so fun, huh! I'm so excited that you get to experience this part of their girly-hood, and that you're open to other sides of them. I love being part of the world that you allow to look in on your life, and can't wait to see the things they choose to be. They are so pretty and adorable!

Swimmingmom said...

They are just gorgeous!!!!! Love those pictures. Relish in the fun girly days. Even if they don't end up loving it, they sure look good!

likeschocolate said...

They are growing up too fast! way to adorable! p.s. did you get the package. We know you guys said yes to it at 1 child, and by no means if anything happens to us do you have to take the boys, but since the will was actually drawn up two years ago we sent it out anyway. We do have a couple of back ups, but we are still in the same boat as before where we have no biological relatives who can take them. Let's just pray nothing ever does happen to both Frank and I. Hugs from us in Geougia. I miss you guys. We haven't talked in forever, but haven't wanted to call because I figure you have your hands way to full right now. If it wasn't hard enough getting a hold of you with just 1 child -I am sure it is just near impossible to get a hold of you with 5. K :)
p.s. Happy Birthday to R
Happy Birthday to you!!!!

Price is Right said...

They look so cute! I bet they will be cute little dancers!:) I was more of the tom boy also! So having a little girl and seeing all this pink I'm not to sure about!:) But we are excited!:)

Stephanie Lowe said...

Cute, Cute, Cute!!! Enjoy all the girly stuff :)

Rob and Toni said...

They are so cute! You will have to record it and post the video!

P.S. I guess I'm going to hold off on Weight Watchers due to finances, but good luck with yours!

Andee said...

I did that same thing with Brianne and LOVED watching her first performance! But I was a bit stunned to see how much the costume was!! So be ready cuz you have it times two!

Erica said...

It's so funny because knowing you now I would never guess that you weren't a girly girl your entire life. The girls look adorable and I can't for Brooklyn to join in on all the fun!

luckyduck said...

Your girls look so cute and so grown up!

Bilary said...

They are so adorable! You will have so much fun watching them at their recitals. They are so cute at that age. They are just so proud of every little thing they do and can't wait to show it off. :)

AngelaW said...

So the freakyness of our parallel childhood continues. I only took dance for a week before my parents took pitty on me and signed me up for basketball. I also took one class of gymnastics.

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

Beautiful girls....gorgeous pictures!!!!! How can you not be girly with those two precious and adorable girls?!? I love your shoe acceptance policy :)

Our Family Adventures said...

Love it! Nicole started ballet today for the first time. There is nothing more girly!!! I can't wait to take them to the Nutcracker :)

Post a Comment