Wednesday, December 15, 2010

{the great escape}


I'm in big trouble.

Rick stayed home today, so he got up early with Ryan to take him to school, and took the girls with him. I heard the babies rustling around a little bit in their room, but since they were quiet, decided to stay in bed for just a few more minutes.

Have you ever had that sudden feeling where you know something is not quite right? It was just too quiet, so I got up out of bed and went to investigate. I walked into the nursery, and there was Jack, but NO HENRY. He was not in his crib, nor in his room anywhere. Panic overcame me, but I was trying to sort all the possibilities. Maybe Rick took him? No--he would have said something. Rick's brother is here for a few days--maybe he got him? No. His door was still shut, and he wouldn't have taken only one of the babies.

I walked downstairs, and what do I see? One little Henry B., as happy as can be, playing with the Little People Nativity set. I had an escapee on my hands.

He had climbed out of his crib and walked downstairs, as big as you please. I put him back in his crib, to see how he did it, and he was kind enough to demonstrate. He is 16 months old, and WAY too big for his own good. I cannot have a baby out of a crib this young! Seriously--I need to figure something out, quick.

Do they make crib covers? Maybe we could cut the mattress in half--that would give us at least 2 inches and another couple of months. Lol.

*Update: After he escaped again at nap time, I bought a crib tent and paid for one day shipping. I couldn't find one within 50 miles of our town, and I can't wait! Rick told me we're going to wrap up the box and put it under the tree. Merry Christmas, Henry!


15 comments:

AngelaW said...

They make crib tents to prevent climbing out. If your baby is old enough to transition to a toddler bed, then you should do that, but I don't think Henry is old enough for that yet. I like to keep my kids in cribs a lot longer than that! Check out this link to see what they look like. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85216&subCategoryId=86201

yvonne said...

Lots of luck ; ) I hope you find a solution. A couple of more months would be lovely, eh.

yvonne said...

By the way, it's me, Yvonne. I guess I have to use this account since it's the one the invite came to. Hope it's not too confusing.

likeschocolate said...

You could always Handcuff him! Just kidding! Now the real fun begins.

luckyduck said...

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for you! Is the mattress rack on the lowest setting possible? He's just adorable!

Andee said...

Well you could always reverse the door knob and lock them in! At least then they can't get out of the room!

Carn Family said...

Oh my goodness! The crib covers are great. Cherlyn has one that she uses every day to keep her very sneaky 2 year old in and she still has not figured out a way to escape. I am sure you will be counting down the seconds until that package arrives.

Jeremi said...

first time commenter but i've been reading (and enjoying) your blog for a while -- you are SO creative and fun!! and your kids are beyond adorable : ) i have twin girls about the same age as your girls, and mine were crib climbers right before their second bday -- so i understand what you're going through. we bought crib tents and LOVED them -- used them until the girls were 3 1/2, and they saved our sanity : )

GREAT blog!

Swimmingmom said...

Hopefully the tent will arrive today!!!!!

Lyndi said...

LOL. He's a little, well BIG, sneaker, isn't he? Hope the tent works! :)

Rob and Toni said...

That is too funny! Glad he was okay and not destroying anything. You're right...Rob would've taken both of them. P.S. He loves that your kids are so comfortable with him. I'm wishing I was there too to meet them. Dang finals. Next time.

Mindy said...

That cute Henry, always ahead of himself! If he does manage to find his way out of the crib tent, you can put those child safety knob covers on the inside of the door (depending on the type of knob you have, I guess). We do that for Jack because he likes to get up and "go to the store"...gives me a little peace of mind for the inevitable day that we forget to bolt the front door.

Jana said...

Oh dear! What a sneaky little guy. You will have to post about the crib tent. I don't know anyone who has used one and I am curious!

Merry Christmas!

Erica said...

too funny! i don't think YOU can wait till christmas for that present :)

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Word of warning on the crib tent: The dude at USA Baby pinky swear promised me that it worked on EVERY crib. It did not. And that was the beginning of us locking Bennett in his room at night.

Post a Comment