There are so many good people in this world, and I have been touched with kindness in really big ways this week. My heart is still feeling full, and I wanted to express my thankfulness for people that are willing to go out of their way to help someone.
They are my little Christmas miracles.
.....
Rick had a conversation a couple months ago with a man that works for his firm--although in a different division, and in a different town. He also has a child with celiac disease (and Type 1 diabetes as well), and understood our struggle to find certain replacement items (that actually taste good) for Emma.
Last week Rick came home with a plate overflowing with gluten-free Christmas goodies that this man's wife had made--chocolate covered Oreos and pretzels, frosted sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and gingerbread cookies. You should have seen my little Emma's face, when I told her that they were for her, and she could eat every one! Honestly, I just about cried, it was so incredibly thoughtful. Everything was delicious, and I am thrilled to know that I can now make yummy sugar cookies for Emma too. She also included product information that I know will prove invaluable, and I'm looking forward to trying all the recipes!
I am so grateful for their kindness, which I know we will be feeling for a long time to come.
.....
I went Christmas shopping tonight. It was crazy busy, but I just had a few things left on my list, and I was anxious to get them purchased. I left the store, fought the snowy, cold wind, loaded my items in the trunk, and hopped in the car. I had several more stops to make, and I was just wanting to be home and cozy in my bed.
I was actually driving Rick's car, because he had all the kids with him. I rarely drive it, and had totally forgotten that his lights aren't automatic, like mine are. The result? A dead battery. My heart sank, and I turned to grab my cell phone out of my purse to call Rick. Then I remembered that not only was he not home, but that I had his cell phone, because mine died--leaving him without one. I was stuck.
All of a sudden, there was a woman at my window. I opened the door (since the automatic windows wouldn't work), and she asked if my battery had died. I answered in the affirmative, and she told me that when they parked next to me, they saw that my lights were on, and wondered if I would need help. When they saw that I was leaving, they sat in their car, and waited to make sure I was okay. I couldn't believe it. It's like they were angels, sent straight from heaven to help me. Her husband grabbed the jumper cables, and we popped our hoods, only to find that our batteries were on opposite sides, and the cables wouldn't reach.
Then a woman that was parked across from me asked if she could help. She hopped out of her van, and tried to pop open the hood. It was the first time she had attempted to open it since it had been in an accident, and she wasn't able to make it work. Then a man shouted from the next row over, saying he had extra long jumper cables, and if the woman in the van would move, he could try and get close enough to help. The woman in the van kindly moved out of her very close parking spot so he could park there. Finally, another man (and mechanic) from another row in the opposite direction came over to assist. Within 10 minutes, I was on my way home. (along with some fantastic car advice...)
It could have been, and would have been a very different scenario if these lovely people (from all walks of life) hadn't stopped to see if I was okay. I can't stop thinking about how small acts of kindness can make such a big impact, and I know that I will be looking for ways I can pass that kindness along.
It really is a season of miracles, and I've discovered they come in all shapes and sizes.
They are my little Christmas miracles.
.....
Rick had a conversation a couple months ago with a man that works for his firm--although in a different division, and in a different town. He also has a child with celiac disease (and Type 1 diabetes as well), and understood our struggle to find certain replacement items (that actually taste good) for Emma.
Last week Rick came home with a plate overflowing with gluten-free Christmas goodies that this man's wife had made--chocolate covered Oreos and pretzels, frosted sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and gingerbread cookies. You should have seen my little Emma's face, when I told her that they were for her, and she could eat every one! Honestly, I just about cried, it was so incredibly thoughtful. Everything was delicious, and I am thrilled to know that I can now make yummy sugar cookies for Emma too. She also included product information that I know will prove invaluable, and I'm looking forward to trying all the recipes!
I am so grateful for their kindness, which I know we will be feeling for a long time to come.
.....
I went Christmas shopping tonight. It was crazy busy, but I just had a few things left on my list, and I was anxious to get them purchased. I left the store, fought the snowy, cold wind, loaded my items in the trunk, and hopped in the car. I had several more stops to make, and I was just wanting to be home and cozy in my bed.
I was actually driving Rick's car, because he had all the kids with him. I rarely drive it, and had totally forgotten that his lights aren't automatic, like mine are. The result? A dead battery. My heart sank, and I turned to grab my cell phone out of my purse to call Rick. Then I remembered that not only was he not home, but that I had his cell phone, because mine died--leaving him without one. I was stuck.
All of a sudden, there was a woman at my window. I opened the door (since the automatic windows wouldn't work), and she asked if my battery had died. I answered in the affirmative, and she told me that when they parked next to me, they saw that my lights were on, and wondered if I would need help. When they saw that I was leaving, they sat in their car, and waited to make sure I was okay. I couldn't believe it. It's like they were angels, sent straight from heaven to help me. Her husband grabbed the jumper cables, and we popped our hoods, only to find that our batteries were on opposite sides, and the cables wouldn't reach.
Then a woman that was parked across from me asked if she could help. She hopped out of her van, and tried to pop open the hood. It was the first time she had attempted to open it since it had been in an accident, and she wasn't able to make it work. Then a man shouted from the next row over, saying he had extra long jumper cables, and if the woman in the van would move, he could try and get close enough to help. The woman in the van kindly moved out of her very close parking spot so he could park there. Finally, another man (and mechanic) from another row in the opposite direction came over to assist. Within 10 minutes, I was on my way home. (along with some fantastic car advice...)
It could have been, and would have been a very different scenario if these lovely people (from all walks of life) hadn't stopped to see if I was okay. I can't stop thinking about how small acts of kindness can make such a big impact, and I know that I will be looking for ways I can pass that kindness along.
It really is a season of miracles, and I've discovered they come in all shapes and sizes.
4 comments:
We've had miracle workers step into our lives too this season. There really are angels among us. Sometimes the smallest things make such a big difference. I'm so glad you got home safe!
I love this. Emma must have just been so incredibly excited. What a sweet thing for someone to do (BTW, I just found out they have gluten free Bisquick. My daughter, Heidi's husband has celiacs. His family owns a gluten-free store in Idaho)
This post makes me want to slow down and be more aware of what's going around so I can be there for others, if needed.
What special blessings at this time of year. It warms your heart to see so much goodness in people and for sure makes you want to pay it forward.
Love it when everything falls into place like that and you know it's because someone is looking out for you. i love the feeling this holiday season brings and hope to carry that throughout the rest of the year.
Post a Comment