We live in a new neighborhood, which means we get new neighbors on a regular basis. This past week the doorbell rang, and when I answered it, it was a cute mom holding a little boy about 3 years old. I was so excited, because it meant more friends for the boys, right near us.
When I answered the door, she asked "Do you have two boys"? When I told her I did, she replied...
"They're on the roof".
Please excuse me while my JAW.DROPS.TO.THE.FLOOR.
I raced upstairs to the playroom, trying not to think about the fantastic first impression of motherhood that I just gave the new neighbor, kind of hoping that it might be two other boys on my roof, and praying that they wouldn't fall off before I got there. Sure enough, they were on the roof, having escaped out the window, zooming race cards off the side of the house. Time out quickly ensued, while they were in their rooms, I called Rick and asked to please not come home that night without extra locks for the windows--the kind that screw in.
The locks were installed, and I slept well that night, knowing that the next day everything would be fine.
Big mistake.
The very next morning the boys were upstairs playing, and about five minutes after they went up, it is strangely silent. Eerily so when my boys are involved, and I JUST KNEW.
Sure enough, Henry was out on the roof, and Jack was watching him--half in and half out, just perched on the ledge. I called out "Jack!!", and he shut that window just as quick as you please, leaving Henry OUT on the roof! I went over to the window, and they had somehow figured out how to unscrew the locks and once again, open the window.
So...we're open to suggestions. Rick threw around the word "ebay", but I knew he was kidding. We may have to just screw the windows shut if there isn't another solution or type of lock that is Jack & Henry proof!
We've had our share of mishaps and misadventures (25 pounds of floor being dumped out comes to mind...), but this one was scary. No mess to clean up, but my heart still pounds when I think of those boys up there!! Before I had twins, especially a set of boys, I always thought the term "double trouble" was just a phrase tossed out there for fun, but I'll tell you, it's the real deal! When there are two together, the same age, acting as one, it really is TROUBLE! It doesn't help that Henry is the size of a seven year old (just bought him size 2 shoes, yikes!!)--his body is way ahead of his mind!
It's a darn good thing that they're so cute.
DARN good thing.
Will I laugh about this one day? Maybe I will when I'm telling their children ALL about it. ☺