The time has come. At 20 months old, my girls can hardly be called babies, although admittedly I have stubbornly held on to the notion that because they weren't 2 yet, they could still be considered so. However, they are full-blown, chair-climbing, bookcase-scaling, ABC-singing, new-words-everyday-talking, messy-eating, adorably-funny toddlers.
I love toddlerhood. It is a new adventure everyday, and a pure delight to watch as they discover life in its entirety. The old becomes new, the routine becomes exciting, and all those things we've taken for granted are renewed once again. One of my favorite parts? Hearing their voices, and listening to what's on their mind--all that wondering while they were a baby as to what they were thinking is now there for discovery.
Now, don't get me wrong. Every moment is not pure bliss, and I'm certainly not rejoicing while mopping underneath the highchairs for what seems to be the 50th time that day. Nor am I jumping for joy about their excitement in taking off all their clothes and diapers when left to their own devices at nap time, or when their body goes into rigor mortis while trying to put them in the carseat (and always in front of other people, of course). Yet these things are quickly forgotten when a tiny hand brushes your cheek, sweet lips give you a kiss, little arms reach up to you, or when you hear a tiny voice call out "Mama".
So, while I wistfully pack away each size that no longer fits, and fondly look at pictures of babyhood gone by, I am reminded of all the wonderful things in store, and how lucky I am to be a part of their world. Bye-bye baby...I'm ready to let go.
At birth:

2 months:

4 months:



6 months:



8 months:


10 months:


12 months:



15 months:


18 months:

I love toddlerhood. It is a new adventure everyday, and a pure delight to watch as they discover life in its entirety. The old becomes new, the routine becomes exciting, and all those things we've taken for granted are renewed once again. One of my favorite parts? Hearing their voices, and listening to what's on their mind--all that wondering while they were a baby as to what they were thinking is now there for discovery.
Now, don't get me wrong. Every moment is not pure bliss, and I'm certainly not rejoicing while mopping underneath the highchairs for what seems to be the 50th time that day. Nor am I jumping for joy about their excitement in taking off all their clothes and diapers when left to their own devices at nap time, or when their body goes into rigor mortis while trying to put them in the carseat (and always in front of other people, of course). Yet these things are quickly forgotten when a tiny hand brushes your cheek, sweet lips give you a kiss, little arms reach up to you, or when you hear a tiny voice call out "Mama".
So, while I wistfully pack away each size that no longer fits, and fondly look at pictures of babyhood gone by, I am reminded of all the wonderful things in store, and how lucky I am to be a part of their world. Bye-bye baby...I'm ready to let go.
At birth:
2 months:
4 months:
6 months:
8 months:
10 months:
12 months:
15 months:
18 months:
6 comments:
sob! They are adorable and I completely know where you're coming from. It seems like every stage that Maren completes, I have to rejoice for her and mourn for myself. It's so hard to let go of babyhood!
They are beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
Oh my goodness, they are beautiful and adorable! That 2-month old picture brought tears to my eyes. *sniff*
I keep finding myself saying "baby Kelly" and wondering what people are thinking. And she's almost 2.5yrs old! lol
They are so beautiful. It is hard to want to let them grow up. I wish mine would stay little forever, however, I love watching everything they learn and do. Children really are true joy.
They are so precious! As my baby is too quickly nearing the end of his first year, I know exactly the feelings you are having. And I know grandbabies can't possibly be as wonderful as when they are your very own.
It is so sad when they grow up. They are absolutely adorable though.
Post a Comment