Thursday, January 31, 2008

Houdini reincarnate...

is living at my house as a 21 month old baby girl! She has completed feats of amazing agility and precision, all with one main purpose in mind---to remove all articles of clothing, including her diaper, everytime I put her in her crib. We have been battling it out for the last couple of weeks, each coming back with a new strategy, and I'm afraid she's ahead right now. But never fear, she may have won a few battles, but I am bound and determined to win the war.

Round 1: I discovered her without clothes on for the first time one day during naptime, when I went to check on them about 10 minutes after putting them down. She didn't look guilty at that point, just really pleased with herself. I gently told her "no", and simply explained that we need to keep our clothes on. She smiled, looked cute, and I walked away. I never even considered she may move on to the diaper!

Round 2: Making the decision to be proactive, I checked on her sooner this time, thinking that I would catch her before she made any attempt. I was too late. Off were her clothes, including her diaper. We lucked out though, and everything was still clean. I talked to her again, put all her clothes on, and thought I would give her another chance. Critical error.

Round 3: Hmmmmmmm. Strategy not paying off. This time the diaper wasn't so clean---and neither was the crib, sheets, or herself. Time to get down to business. I used a cloth diaper pin to pin her zipper to her pajamas. I had triumphed...I just knew it. There was NO way she could get that off. What a smart mom I am.

Round 4: I entered the room, and what do I find? A little girl with nothing on, along with a diaper pin on the floor, o.p.e.n. Must have been a fluke, right?

Round 5: I tried the pin again. It's like I was having deja vu---the same clothes-less girl, the same open diaper pin on the floor. Now it's REALLY time to get down to business. I put her pajamas on backwards!! YAY for me!!!

Round 6: So the pajamas on backwards are fine and all for when she's actually wearing the pajamas---but what about when she's wearing clothes? I'll let you guess. Even bootcut jeans with a snap and zipper are no match for her.

Round 7: Today was round 7, and what I thought would be the final battle. I pulled out the packing tape. I wanted duct tape, but realized we were out, and thought to myself how the United States Post Office manages just fine with packing tape...millions of packages are mailed each year, travel millions of miles, and still manage to get to where they're going, arriving safe and secure, still clothed. Well. I went in a little while later when I heard voices, still completely confident in my taping. What do I find? Miss Emma, no diaper, tape on the floor, and the biggest grin I've ever seen. NOW it's serious. Duct tape, here I come.


You may be asking where Kate is during all of this? She points at Emma as soon as I walk in the room, looking completely innocent...and pants-less.

6 comments:

Carn Family said...

This just made me laugh! When I first started to read I was going to suggest the pj's on backwards with a pin. Little did I know that your little one took the advanced class in clothing removal! That is amazing. Best of luck to you. :)

Unknown said...

So funny! I never would have thought of any of those tricks! Hopefully I won't have to use them but if I do I'm coming to you for all of the latest and greatest ways to keep clothes on!

Andi said...

Just wait until it's raining outside and she decides she wants to run in the rain... naked. Did I mention the missionaries were on their way over for dinner?

Good luck... she's a smart one.

Our Family Adventures said...

How FUNNY!! She is too smart for her own good! I have a feeling this is just the begining of many things to come......haha!

likeschocolate said...

I know this story way to well, but in regards to car seats. Harris was the master at getting out of his seat. I remember one trip to Boston where we had to stop at a store and by duct tape. That wasn't such a good idea for getting in and out of the car, so we moved on to a padlock. Don't know what to suggest about the clothes. If she kept the diaper on I would suggest letting her stay naked. She will get cold fast enough and put the clothes back on. Good luck-

Brit said...

oh my goodness...dylan loves to be naked but i don't think he's really figured out yet that he has the power to be naked whenever he wants. he HATES getting dressed but once the clothes are on its like he forgets about them. he does always take off his shoes and socks without fail wherever we are...he is just a barefoot boy at heart, good thing we'll be back in sunny so cal.

Post a Comment