Today is my dad's birthday. In about 91 minutes, all of my family will be together celebrating the beginning of his 66th year. I can't be there, but I also want to celebrate my dad, and I hope to do that through my words here.
I was quite the child to raise--in fact, I'm surprised my dad made it this long! I have duly begun to receive my penance, raising two very lively girls, and I can finally understand just a little bit of what I may have been like as a daughter. I have always really liked to argue, and I put my poor father through an endless amount of "discussion". Maybe he never knew how much I loved, admired, and respected him through all of those moments--but I can tell him today.
I have so many memories and thoughts to share, and here are a few I would like to highlight:
1. He is an incredibly innate athletic ability, and has always been extremely strong. Add in a competitive spirit, and you've got quite the guy to beat! That was, actually, my goal. To just beat him ONCE, in ANY sport. I finally did, but only after he turned 60 and was injured. :)
2. I have so many memories of my dad in the kitchen. He is a really good cook, and has made many meals for me over the years. My son Ryan caught on quickly to his talent as well--and one of his very favorite things is when Poppy makes him pancakes.
3. I always knew that my dad would make sure I was safe. I didn't always appreciate that as a teenager, especially when he combed through the streets of the town I grew up in looking for me, but deep down I would never want it to be any different. To this day, my sister and I still can't figure out how he found us! He always looked the same--jeans, brown Sunday loafers (quickest to put on), a gray zip-up hoodie, and his hair sticking straight up!
4. Whenever, wherever, however I needed help, my dad has always dropped everything to be there for me. Believe me, I provided many such opportunities for him, especially through my teen/early college years. Can I tell you how many rocks/curbs/sharp things I ran over, how many tires I went through, or how many crises I had? Poor guy. Now it's a different kind of help, but appreciated just as much. My parents have traveled many times to our home that is almost 2000 miles away from their to give assistance. Moves, babies, a baptism, graduations, and other events have all been priorities for both of them. I am so lucky--and so grateful.
5. I love my dad's laugh. All four of us would gang up on him (we couldn't hold him down for long) and tickle him. He is SO ticklish!
6. I have a really special dad. He loves babies and children, and they love him right back. Whenever I was babysitting, and couldn't get a child to sleep, I would call him. Within 5 minutes, they would be fast asleep. After I had the girls, my parents came to stay with us for a couple of weeks. A few nights went by without me even waking up, and I wondered why they were sleeping so well at such a young age. I found out that they weren't---my dad was sleeping in the hallway so he could hear them first, and so I could sleep through the night.
7. This is a continuation of number 6, and I could probably keep going for awhile! Before Rick and I got married, he came over to my house to talk to my dad. They were on our study for 2 hours, and do you want to know what my dad talked about for the majority of the time? Yes, that's right. Grandchildren.
8. He's a wonderful grandfather. He was Ryan's first babysitter at 4 weeks old, and has always had a special relationship with him. One of my favorite memories occurred while we were visiting my parents' home soon after we moved away. My mom and I were out shopping, and Ryan stayed with Poppy. When we got home, they were side-by-side in the garage, Ryan stripped down to his diaper, and painting away on a project. Whether it's painting, cooking, playing outside, or building Legos, my dad makes him feel like he is the only one in the world.
9. My dad is very strong in the gospel, and has always provided me with an excellent example to follow. I am grateful for that, and I know how much my life has been bettered because of it.
10. He loves my mom. I love to find the little notes that he leaves her, and he loves to tease her. We love it too! :)
I love you Dad, and I miss you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
P.S. I wish I had some pictures to post, but they are all in storage and I couldn't get to them right now if I tried!
I was quite the child to raise--in fact, I'm surprised my dad made it this long! I have duly begun to receive my penance, raising two very lively girls, and I can finally understand just a little bit of what I may have been like as a daughter. I have always really liked to argue, and I put my poor father through an endless amount of "discussion". Maybe he never knew how much I loved, admired, and respected him through all of those moments--but I can tell him today.
I have so many memories and thoughts to share, and here are a few I would like to highlight:
1. He is an incredibly innate athletic ability, and has always been extremely strong. Add in a competitive spirit, and you've got quite the guy to beat! That was, actually, my goal. To just beat him ONCE, in ANY sport. I finally did, but only after he turned 60 and was injured. :)
2. I have so many memories of my dad in the kitchen. He is a really good cook, and has made many meals for me over the years. My son Ryan caught on quickly to his talent as well--and one of his very favorite things is when Poppy makes him pancakes.
3. I always knew that my dad would make sure I was safe. I didn't always appreciate that as a teenager, especially when he combed through the streets of the town I grew up in looking for me, but deep down I would never want it to be any different. To this day, my sister and I still can't figure out how he found us! He always looked the same--jeans, brown Sunday loafers (quickest to put on), a gray zip-up hoodie, and his hair sticking straight up!
4. Whenever, wherever, however I needed help, my dad has always dropped everything to be there for me. Believe me, I provided many such opportunities for him, especially through my teen/early college years. Can I tell you how many rocks/curbs/sharp things I ran over, how many tires I went through, or how many crises I had? Poor guy. Now it's a different kind of help, but appreciated just as much. My parents have traveled many times to our home that is almost 2000 miles away from their to give assistance. Moves, babies, a baptism, graduations, and other events have all been priorities for both of them. I am so lucky--and so grateful.
5. I love my dad's laugh. All four of us would gang up on him (we couldn't hold him down for long) and tickle him. He is SO ticklish!
6. I have a really special dad. He loves babies and children, and they love him right back. Whenever I was babysitting, and couldn't get a child to sleep, I would call him. Within 5 minutes, they would be fast asleep. After I had the girls, my parents came to stay with us for a couple of weeks. A few nights went by without me even waking up, and I wondered why they were sleeping so well at such a young age. I found out that they weren't---my dad was sleeping in the hallway so he could hear them first, and so I could sleep through the night.
7. This is a continuation of number 6, and I could probably keep going for awhile! Before Rick and I got married, he came over to my house to talk to my dad. They were on our study for 2 hours, and do you want to know what my dad talked about for the majority of the time? Yes, that's right. Grandchildren.
8. He's a wonderful grandfather. He was Ryan's first babysitter at 4 weeks old, and has always had a special relationship with him. One of my favorite memories occurred while we were visiting my parents' home soon after we moved away. My mom and I were out shopping, and Ryan stayed with Poppy. When we got home, they were side-by-side in the garage, Ryan stripped down to his diaper, and painting away on a project. Whether it's painting, cooking, playing outside, or building Legos, my dad makes him feel like he is the only one in the world.
9. My dad is very strong in the gospel, and has always provided me with an excellent example to follow. I am grateful for that, and I know how much my life has been bettered because of it.
10. He loves my mom. I love to find the little notes that he leaves her, and he loves to tease her. We love it too! :)
I love you Dad, and I miss you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
P.S. I wish I had some pictures to post, but they are all in storage and I couldn't get to them right now if I tried!
0 comments:
Post a Comment