I have a timeline I'm working on, and this Friday is the deadline for granite and cabinets. Next Friday I need to be sure on tile, hardwood, and carpet, followed by paint and lighting. It can become overwhelming, but I started out with an initial color scheme and style and have been working around that. It has made it much easier to choose not only the bigger things, but smaller things like hinges, doorknobs, light switches that I never even thought of! I like clean, simple lines, and that's one of the main reasons I decided on a Shaker style throughout the house. The basic color palette will be reds, browns, creams, with accents of black, with the trim work white. Here are the things I know for sure:
Faucets: I decided on an oil-rubbed bronze for all the faucet fixtures, plus doorknobs and hinges. I really like this particular style, and I think it will go well in the kitchen and baths.
Cabinets: I chose a Maple cabinet, with a slightly darker finish. I really loved some other woods, like cherry, hickory, and alder, but the budget wouldn't quite make it! I'm really happy with these though, and I love the Shaker style doors. I couldn't get a good picture to show here, but here is a link so you can see them. It's the Sundance color, Concord style. We initially went over on our budget (it's so easy to do, especially with cabinets!), so we needed to start trimming costs. I wanted to leave the kitchen and master bath, so we made some changes to the upstairs bath and laundry, and went to white cabinets, but same style doors. Since the half bath will have a pedestal sink, we didn't have to make any changes there at all.
Appliances: We totally lucked out on appliances! Home Depot ended up having a pretty big sale a few weekends ago, and even though it was a little early to order them, they said they could delay shipping until we needed them. We had decided on stainless steel, but wasn't sure of the brand, and we wanted to stay within a certain budget. We ended up choosing LG, and I love the industrial, professional look of them. Rick really wanted the French door style refrigerator, and although I had initially wanted a ice/water combo in the door, I ended up liking the one we chose better. And just think--I won't have to be as worried about having kids in the water on my wood floors!
I will be so happy to finally be in a house! :) We have waited such a long time, and we are really ready. We were in school for 7 years (married very young! :)), then we moved to our current town. We thought we would only be here for a year, maybe two, and since we only had one child, we thought we would rent. Well, we ended up being here longer, and once we decided to buy, I got pregnant with the girls. We decided to wait until after they were born to go forward, and I'm glad we did. I ended up on bed rest for weeks, and there is no way we could have managed it, at least not very well. Once they turned 1, we started making serious efforts towards looking for a home, and finally decided to build. It's been a long road, but really, I can't imagine it any other way. This is the right time for us. YAY!
6 comments:
so jealous i lo ve building a house we're on 6+ years here and i am ready for redo!!
How fun to get a sneek peek at your new home! I am SOO excited for you!
I am so excited to have you out our way! The things you picked look fantastic. Our friends built not too long ago and picked the oil rubbed stuff and it is beautiful! If you need help with the girls please let me know.
Everything looks so good! I can't wait to see the real thing all put together! You have great taste :)
In a few months we'll have to help each other decorate all the other stuff that goes inside!
We just finished all the selecting... but our house is 5-7 months from completion! :(
So, do you have a quest bedroom? We are coming to visit. No, actually, we aren't because we are going to be in Europe all summer, but maybe next year. We miss you guys!!!!!
Post a Comment