I can't believe it's been seven years since we started this tradition! I just came across some pictures of one of our very first haunted gingerbread house parties--I think the girls were two--and it was so crazy to see how little they were. I'm glad we've continued doing it--we all look forward to it, and it's one of our very favorite Halloween activities
We invited the Johnson, Heath, Haddox, and Wilson families over, but due to travel and sick kids, only the Johnsons and Haddoxes were able to make it. We served yummy soup and bread, then sent the kids out to play while we got ready for the houses. It had stormed quite badly the night before, but thankfully the grass wasn't too wet.
The kids were chomping at the bit, and the candy was starting to disappear, so we got started quickly. These kids make me laugh SO hard! It was fun to see their different personalities come through in how they decorated...or not. I was just trying to keep up with all the graham crackers and frosting, because they were going through it like crazy.
Once all the houses were decorated, it was dark, and we went to sit around the fire..which is where the guys had been for the last hour. It seemed like summer to me--it was hard to think of going back to school the next day. The weather is still like a Michigan summer--in the 80's--with slightly cooler nights. I closed my eyes and pictured us back there--around the fire, chatting with friends, and listening to the kids play. It was like this weird case of deja vu, except that it had been real, and this just seemed surreal. We did have a really fun time, and everyone enjoyed it. It was hard to see it come to an end!
One more year down!










