The time has come. At 20 months old, my girls can hardly be called babies, although admittedly I have stubbornly held on to the notion that because they weren't 2 yet, they could still be considered so. However, they are full-blown, chair-climbing, bookcase-scaling, ABC-singing, new-words-everyday-talking, messy-eating, adorably-funny toddlers.
I love toddlerhood. It is a new adventure everyday, and a pure delight to watch as they discover life in its entirety. The old becomes new, the routine becomes exciting, and all those things we've taken for granted are renewed once again. One of my favorite parts? Hearing their voices, and listening to what's on their mind--all that wondering while they were a baby as to what they were thinking is now there for discovery.
Now, don't get me wrong. Every moment is not pure bliss, and I'm certainly not rejoicing while mopping underneath the highchairs for what seems to be the 50th time that day. Nor am I jumping for joy about their excitement in taking off all their clothes and diapers when left to their own devices at nap time, or when their body goes into rigor mortis while trying to put them in the carseat (and always in front of other people, of course). Yet these things are quickly forgotten when a tiny hand brushes my cheek, sweet lips give me a kiss, little arms reach up to me, or when I hear a tiny voice call out "Mama".
So while I wistfully pack away each size that no longer fits, and fondly look at pictures of babyhood gone by, I am reminded of all the wonderful things in store, and how lucky I am to be a part of their world.
Bye-bye baby...I'm ready to let go.
.....
My boys are 19 months old, and on their way to being full-fledged toddlers. This time around, I'm not ready to let go.
Not yet.
I love toddlerhood. It is a new adventure everyday, and a pure delight to watch as they discover life in its entirety. The old becomes new, the routine becomes exciting, and all those things we've taken for granted are renewed once again. One of my favorite parts? Hearing their voices, and listening to what's on their mind--all that wondering while they were a baby as to what they were thinking is now there for discovery.
Now, don't get me wrong. Every moment is not pure bliss, and I'm certainly not rejoicing while mopping underneath the highchairs for what seems to be the 50th time that day. Nor am I jumping for joy about their excitement in taking off all their clothes and diapers when left to their own devices at nap time, or when their body goes into rigor mortis while trying to put them in the carseat (and always in front of other people, of course). Yet these things are quickly forgotten when a tiny hand brushes my cheek, sweet lips give me a kiss, little arms reach up to me, or when I hear a tiny voice call out "Mama".
So while I wistfully pack away each size that no longer fits, and fondly look at pictures of babyhood gone by, I am reminded of all the wonderful things in store, and how lucky I am to be a part of their world.
Bye-bye baby...I'm ready to let go.
.....
My boys are 19 months old, and on their way to being full-fledged toddlers. This time around, I'm not ready to let go.
Not yet.

7 comments:
I'm not either. Lucy and Elsa seemed so much more grown up at 20 months. Leta and Annie will be my babies probably for as long as I can eek it out.
I loved this post! Amen. Amen.
-kathryn
I love this and I totally understand. Each stage has its wonderful moments and I love how you enjoy them all.
I feel the same way - our boys will be babies long past the initial toddler stage. Completely understand!
Ahh!! How time flies. The girls are still my babies, no matter how old they get. And the boys...weren't they just newborns yesterday?? And why can't Ryan stay like 7 years old. Bah!
Me neither! It makes me crazy that Tatum is so close to being two. Not yet, please not yet!!
What a sweet blog. Now I am not ready to let my babies go either and the last one is almost 13 years old! They grow up way too fast!
I just got caught up on your blog since I have been a blog slacker lately. Oh my goodness, your kids have changed so much! You have the most beautiful family, Kierste! I agree that it is so hard to let go of the baby phase. It always makes me sad when you are at the store and someone says, "Your little boy/girl is so cute" instead of "Your BABY is so cute." LOL! Every phase is so fun though. That post was darling!
Post a Comment