***UPDATE***
If you use the code "readysetb2p", you'll save 15% off of your next book! The code is good through March 9th.
.....
I had several questions about blog publishing, so I wanted to answer all of them, and fill you in on the details!
I started with blurb.com, which I've heard about for a long time. The quality is superb, but you have to format each page yourself--layout, pictures, text, etc. Each page was taking me a minimum of 45 minutes, and with almost 300 posts, I knew I just didn't have the time to undertake such a task.
I headed over to blog2print.com, and it SO SO easy. You just enter your url address, enter any range of dates you choose, and it will upload your posts in their entirety. TIP: Your site feed needs to be on "full", or it won't work. If you have questions about that, let me know.
Some things I've learned:
1. Edit all of your posts BEFORE you upload them. There is an edit option at blog2print, but you can only replace photos, not delete them, and it's more time consuming text wise as well. I went through each post on blogger, edited them for spelling and grammar, removed video, formatted them the same (i.e. all posts centered on page), and took out anything I didn't want in the book. If there are posts you don't want in your book, you have two choices: In blogger, save those posts as "save as draft", then they won't be uploaded in the first place; or at blog2print, under the edit option, it will list all your posts, and you can click/un-click the posts you want included. Once the editing was done, the creation of the book literally took less than 15 minutes. Future books will be even easier, because now I'm using a standard format with my posts, so I won't have as much editing to do.
2. They charge per page--the basic hardcover book (there are other options) is $24.95 for 20 pages, then .35 each page thereafter. I have three books--one for each year, and they vary in price from $35 to $55. To me, that's a great deal! I think of what I would have spent to scrapbook an entire year, and it would have been a whole lot higher than $55!
3. You can choose whether you want the posts in your book to be compact--one post after another, regardless of where they fall on the page, or snapshot, which will format them a little more. Since you are charged per page, your choice could impact the cost of your book. You may want to try it both ways, and then decide if the difference is worth it. It was for me, and I chose the snapshot.
I don't have the finished product, so I can't fully attest to the quality, but I have friends who have, and love theirs. I hope this helps!
If you use the code "readysetb2p", you'll save 15% off of your next book! The code is good through March 9th.
.....
I had several questions about blog publishing, so I wanted to answer all of them, and fill you in on the details!
I started with blurb.com, which I've heard about for a long time. The quality is superb, but you have to format each page yourself--layout, pictures, text, etc. Each page was taking me a minimum of 45 minutes, and with almost 300 posts, I knew I just didn't have the time to undertake such a task.
I headed over to blog2print.com, and it SO SO easy. You just enter your url address, enter any range of dates you choose, and it will upload your posts in their entirety. TIP: Your site feed needs to be on "full", or it won't work. If you have questions about that, let me know.
Some things I've learned:
1. Edit all of your posts BEFORE you upload them. There is an edit option at blog2print, but you can only replace photos, not delete them, and it's more time consuming text wise as well. I went through each post on blogger, edited them for spelling and grammar, removed video, formatted them the same (i.e. all posts centered on page), and took out anything I didn't want in the book. If there are posts you don't want in your book, you have two choices: In blogger, save those posts as "save as draft", then they won't be uploaded in the first place; or at blog2print, under the edit option, it will list all your posts, and you can click/un-click the posts you want included. Once the editing was done, the creation of the book literally took less than 15 minutes. Future books will be even easier, because now I'm using a standard format with my posts, so I won't have as much editing to do.
2. They charge per page--the basic hardcover book (there are other options) is $24.95 for 20 pages, then .35 each page thereafter. I have three books--one for each year, and they vary in price from $35 to $55. To me, that's a great deal! I think of what I would have spent to scrapbook an entire year, and it would have been a whole lot higher than $55!
3. You can choose whether you want the posts in your book to be compact--one post after another, regardless of where they fall on the page, or snapshot, which will format them a little more. Since you are charged per page, your choice could impact the cost of your book. You may want to try it both ways, and then decide if the difference is worth it. It was for me, and I chose the snapshot.
I don't have the finished product, so I can't fully attest to the quality, but I have friends who have, and love theirs. I hope this helps!
11 comments:
Ha did you just know it would be me that wants to know what full means.
Thank you! It helps to have a solid referral. I'm sure you're anxious to get your finished products. If your kids are anything like mine, they'll sit and revel in the pictures, stories and memories. Such a treasure. Thanks again. I'm excited to check it out.
You continue to prove to be one of the most awesome people I know. Thanks for sharing your insight.
Kierste,
Thank you so much for this site! I had NO idea it could be so much easier. Please post pictures when you get the books! I can't wait.
It is probably also good to note that if people have missed posting things throughout the year that they want to add to their final book, you can add all the missing posts and then change the date of the post (hence, putting them in order) if you click the "post options" under your post box and put in the correct chronological date to keep everything in order. Just a hint.
LOVE your BLOGS! Love your posts! ~Laura
Megan--Head to blogger, open up your dashboard, then click on Settings. Click on the tab that says site feed. The first item on that page will say "allow blog feeds", and you want to make sure that the option selected is "full".
Laura--yes, thank you for mentioning that! I use that option all the time, and I love it.
Thank you! thank you! thank you!! I am going to go check it out! :)
I love love love my blog2print books. The quality is great as well!
About 2-3 times a year they run a 15% SPECIAL. That is when I buy my books.
That sounds great. I am going to check into this today.
Thanks so much for all the info - now the hard part...just buckling down and doing it!!!
Good for you for getting it done! Great idea. Some of my friends have done them and they have come out great. Mkes all that time blogging worth it!
Are the comments printed?
kierste, can i ask why you center all posts on the page? does it look a lot better to do that? do you ever do tiled pictures? if so, what does it do with that when you choose "snapshot"?
Post a Comment