Wednesday, October 22, 2008

{"but mom, it's recyclable"}


Ryan came with me last night to watch my volleyball game. I always take a water bottle with me, and after the game when I went to toss it in the garbage, he stopped me and said, "but mom, it's recyclable"! So, he carted that water bottle all the way home, along with another bottle that he found in the bleachers.

Ryan has been a really good example to our family when it comes to recycling. You'd think it would be the opposite way around, but it's something he feels very strongly about. Last year for Scouts, Ryan visited the recycling center, and he soaked it all up. He knows that if it's #s 1, 2, or 5, it goes in the green recycling bin, and he keeps us all in line.

I'm learning to recycle, because it is important to me too. We have always (until now) lived in apartments or town homes, where they didn't come around and pick up recycling items along with the trash. Since we've moved into our home, I have been extra conscious about anything that can be recycled, and I've been surprised about how many things that actually is. I love knowing that they aren't headed to the landfill to just sit forever, but will actually be re-used into something useful. I have always been mindful of trying to re-use what I can around my home, or pass things on to those that might need them or can use them, and recycling is just another aspect of that.

I have a really good friend who is the recycling queen of America. This past garbage day, they only had one trash bag to take out (for a family of 8!), and the rest was recycled. After spending a lot of time in her home, I now think of her before I throw anything away!

There are many other ways that we can contribute to making our earth a better place to live, and if each of us does our part, even a small part, it will make a big difference!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

we just started recycling more since we bought this home. Recycling is picked up once/wk and that works for me. Previously it was once/mo and I just got overwhelmed with the trash in my bin LOL. The first week I did it I was amazed how much is recyclable.

Bilary said...

I can't believe your friend had only one trash bag with that size of a family! WOW! I could definitely learn a lot from you and her. I take out a bag every day. I am so ashamed after reading that post. I have a lot to learn in this area. I know that most of what we throw away can be recycled, but our area doesn't offer many recycling services. Maybe I should write to someone about this. Hmmm...

Give your son a big pat on the back. I am super impressed with him.

Jewels said...

The cutest thing...at the school store they have the cutest tea(hot chocolate) set. and it is made completely out of recycled milk jugs. When I saw it I thought too bad I have one already or it would be mine. Just a heads up if you ever thought about getting your gorgeous girls one.

Stephanie Lowe said...

We can recycle #5s?!?! I thought I read in the pamplet that we could only put #1s and #2s in the bins! I get so mad when I have to put a #5 (and a #7 too...for that matter) in the regular trash. What great news this post is :)!!! So, what do we do with our #7s???

likeschocolate said...

After living in Switzerland, where recycling is mandatory for everyone even those living in apartments. I have gotten better too. Did you know that instead of buying water bottles that you can buy a really reusable water bottle for less than $10 and really save the planet. Plus a recent study just came out that said that the water in water bottles isn't any cleaner than the water in the water facet. Hard to break old habit though I know. Check out Eddie Bauer outlet for above mentioned bottle. I bought 4 recently. I can't make up my mind which I like more the orange one I bought or the turquise ? spelling. Good luck!

Yvonne said...

I think it's so wonderful when our children teach us the value of things like this.

I try to recycle, but usually it's just the easy things like cardboard and plastic--I know I could do a better job. Thanks to you (and Ryan) for the reminder ; )

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

We actually just got a second full size recycling can instead of another garbage can. It's amazing how much stuff you can recycle when you really make a conscious effort.

myndie said...

Go Green!! this was great for me to read right now since i just threw a piece of paper away and was feeling guilty about it. i love the twins cute hair....and lipstick!

one busy mom said...

You are too kind. Thanks for the compliment! Keep up the good work.

Post a Comment