Poppy is my dad. We live far away from my parents, but we still manage to see them at least once (sometimes twice) a year. He is an amazing hands-on grandpa, and every one of my children love being around him and spending time with him. So much so, that they want to talk to him all.the.time.
At least once (sometimes more) a day, they will grab the phone and ask to "talk to Poppy". More often than not, it happens to be early in the morning there (we are 2 hours later), but they are absolutely insistent, and give no regard to the earliness of the morning (despite my best efforts--but trying to explain the merits of waiting until after 6:30am in the morning to a 2 year old really is futile). So, I dial the number, and let them put the phone up to their ear. What follows is simply priceless.
Sometimes they are quiet, and just want to listen to his voice, and other times he can't get a word in edgewise. Sometime I will hear a few yes's or no's, but most often it is rambling sentences of strung together mumblings that even I can't understand, but makes perfect sense to them. My dad is such a trooper, and I can hear him in the background asking them questions, and trying to figure out which one it is! But most of all, I know he loves it too.
I love that they can establish and maintain a relationship with a grandparent that lives far away, and that they each will have their own special way to keep in contact with him. They are only 2 years old, but they know that they are loved, and they know that they love Poppy too. I hope they will do this forever.
At least once (sometimes more) a day, they will grab the phone and ask to "talk to Poppy". More often than not, it happens to be early in the morning there (we are 2 hours later), but they are absolutely insistent, and give no regard to the earliness of the morning (despite my best efforts--but trying to explain the merits of waiting until after 6:30am in the morning to a 2 year old really is futile). So, I dial the number, and let them put the phone up to their ear. What follows is simply priceless.
Sometimes they are quiet, and just want to listen to his voice, and other times he can't get a word in edgewise. Sometime I will hear a few yes's or no's, but most often it is rambling sentences of strung together mumblings that even I can't understand, but makes perfect sense to them. My dad is such a trooper, and I can hear him in the background asking them questions, and trying to figure out which one it is! But most of all, I know he loves it too.
I love that they can establish and maintain a relationship with a grandparent that lives far away, and that they each will have their own special way to keep in contact with him. They are only 2 years old, but they know that they are loved, and they know that they love Poppy too. I hope they will do this forever.



7 comments:
Grandparents are the best! It is so neat that they are able to have a wonderful relationship even though they are so far away! Thank goodness for unlimited long distance!!! :)
What a great dad and grandpa. I am so happy that they have a close relationship despite the distance.
truly precious.
I bet "poppy" absolutely loves this post and cherishes those talks with his adorable granddaughters! Very Sweet!
that is wonderful!!
That is so sweet. As a grandma, I don't mind WHENEVER my grandchildren call.
I am glad to here that even despite the distance they are close. My sister is in DC and I hope my kids will always be close to her. I love that you call him Poppy. My Dad is Papa.
Post a Comment