I have it a little different than most. I actually get to choose the month and season in which I would like to have a baby (or two) :). In addition to the long, long list of downsides of infertility, I have to say, this is a perk I appreciate.
I am a planner through and through, and the fact that I get to actually sit down and decide when I have a baby makes me giddy. Under normal circumstances, I would be so happy I was having a baby that it would not matter in the slightest WHEN I was due, but that I was actually pregnant. But since I do get to choose, I might as well make the most of it!
Now that the girls are 2, I have started to think that I may be ready to begin the planning stages. My analytical self can't help but ask the question...which season really is the best time to have a baby?
SPRING:
PROS:
-You aren't pregnant during the summer...advantageous for both the heat, and traveling purposes.
-When the baby is born, it's beautiful outside, and you're ready for great weather!
-Traveling with a newborn (vacations) could actually be a pro and a con, but they sleep so well, I think it's easier with a newborn vs. toddler.
CONS:
-Baby weight is still on for the summer and swimsuit season. ugh.
-You have to wear shoes and socks (winter pregnancy), which is problematic towards the end when your feet swell up to the size of balloons.
SUMMER:
PROS:
-You still can look forward to a lot of good weather before winter comes.
-If it's towards the beginning of summer, it's still not too hot.
-It's really easy to dress a baby in the summer--onesie, onesie, onesie!
-Flip flops baby! I had Ryan at the end of summer (early fall), and I LOVED being able to just slide on flip flops. No bending, tying, or otherwise exerting yourself to wear shoes. :)
-I really love summer maternity clothes. Okay, so I love all maternity clothes. :)
NEUTRAL:
-Older kids are out of school. This could really go either way. On one hand it's great to have the extra help and hands, but on the other, it's more people to take care of.
CONS:
-HOT, HOT, HOT. I already have to sleep with no sheets and a fan during the summer. You add in a hot little baby in the tummy, and whoa!
-Still no time to lose weight.
-Summer schedules are hard to predict, and there may not be the opportunity to do as many things. With older kids, this could be tough.
FALL:
PROS:
-This is my favorite season, so I know I would enjoy having a baby during this time. Cooler weather, trips to the cider mill, baby's first Halloween, etc.--so fun!
-Still time to enjoy some nice weather, and the fact that it's not the dead of winter is a big plus in my book!
-School in in. This means less people to take care of at home, and maybe more time to spend with the baby, It definitely means less people to run errands with, which is huge!
-6 to 8 months before summer--time to lose some baby weight before swimsuit season!
-Once again, flip flops baby!
CONS:
-Winter is coming.
-You have to be pregnant through the whole entire summer.
-Depending on when the baby is born (late fall), you may need two sets of maternity clothes.
-Having a newborn through all the holidays could be stressful.
WINTER:
PROS:
-You can have a snuggly baby in lots of blankets, and adorable hats, and cozy sweaters.
-As with fall, you have time weight before summer hits. There are also more places to hide those extra pounds...under layers. :)
-A new baby in a Christmas stocking. I've always wanted to do that!
CONS:
-It takes a lot more time to get a baby dressed and ready to go in the winter--lots more "stuff" to put on.
-Feeling like you're stuck in the house, and not able to go out is hard. RSV season can be scary for some babies. Even if your baby isn't at risk, the frigid cold is still something you don't want to take them out in.
Okay, so now it's your turn! I would love to hear from you, and what your opinions and experiences are. In the end, we'll go with whatever timing feels right, and you all know it doesn't really matter when you have a baby--it's a privelege I didn't think I would always have. In the meantime though, it's awfully fun to talk about!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Well I have 3 June babies so I guess you can tell what time of year I like to have kids. I have to say that it is great to be at the end of your pregnancy just as it starts to warm up because you don't get super hot and yes there is time to wear wonderful flip flops and not have to tie your shoes!!!!
I have loved having the flexibility this summer to spend mornings in pj's and not running out the door in coats and boots every day at 8 A.M.
If we need a day at home the kids can just go out and play outside. And yes in a way it has been harder to have the kids home all day but it has also been a HUGE help to have extra hands around at times. I have also loved letting the kids have some great bonding time with the baby before school starts up again and they are gone all day.
I agree that travel with a small baby is MUCH easier than with a 1 year old so it does not really mess up summer trips.
Sorry about the long comment...can you tell that I am a fan of summer babies????
Really though there are positives and negatives to any time you do it as you pointed out. Good luck!!!!
We couldn't have done better if we planned babies ourselves. I had my boys in May and June. I didn't care about looking good for summer because I was tied down to kids so I didn't miss it, plus I had a whole year to work on my weight.
What a Decision!!!! I know I would be like you if I had the choice of when (love the pros and cons list!). Since my babies just come when they decide I can tell you about when they did come. Spencer was February. Hmm, April would have been nicer if I was choosing. Still too cold to go anywhere. Nicole was September. I thought I would die by the time she was born!!!! SOO HOT!!! Swelling and heat are NOT a good mixture, then you throw in Missouri humidity and you don't have one ounce of desire to go outside. Thank Heaven for A/C. However, once she was born it was really nice because she was old enough by the time winter hit to not have any problems. This one....December. I don't know what to think other than I am glad to be having a baby and Rich is pretty happy with the tax situation!! haha. (I guess you have to look for the positives :)) I'll let you know how it goes, part of me is excited that the kids will be home for the holiday and then go right back to school and I will have lots of mommy/baby time because I won't want to go out. Then when Rich comes home, I can go have a break. We Shall See!!!!! Good Luck! I am so very excited for you and your cute family : )
My January and February babies were probably my favorite, because the last trimester when time seems to stand still is so busy (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) that it flies by. My April baby was good, too. My June baby was probably my least favorite.
All my babies are late Winter or Spring, so I have to say that is the best because you do not have to worry about bundeling up as much and you do not need to worry about being big and fat during the hottest time of the year. I think Feb babies are the best though because you still have some time to take the weight off before summer. I have never seen pregnancy clothes that are appropriate with church standards. Maybe in SLC? Good Luck!
I have given birth to 4--May, October, August, and April. I never thought about when and although I was quite sick, the season didn't matter. Of course, the first 3 were all born in California, so weather wasn't much of an issue. The 4th was born in Eastern Canada and having him born in the Spring was perfect.
I don't think I would enjoy taking a newborn out in the freezing cold--I would worry about slipping on the ice and snow.
Cute idea for a post.
Hi, Jill again I have an April, August, and Feb. and I by far loved the April time of year for having a baby the best.... I actually heard from a nurse most births are in April (who knows if that is true all over).
P.S. What is that gorgeous green color and kind of paint called that you used in your laundry and play rooms if you don't mind me asking? I LOVE IT!!!
Jill--It's called Lemon Verbena, by Sherwin Williams. I love it too! :)
I love all of your comments! You have mentioned things I hadn't thought of, and I always love hearing about others' experiences. Thank you!
I think we both love April babies ;)
Only one set of maternity clothes - all warm and snuggly all winter. Then when the baby comes it's just warming up and off to do fun stuff outside everywhere! I loved it!!!
i love winter- i had a dec20th and a nov 28th i liked it better than may I love that i get to spend all Christmas vaca with dh off from work, celebrating and soaking in baby goodness(yes I have had stocking babies (ont he news no less)-- but I'll also vote sooner rather than later I want to see more of your cute kids
February babies are the best....and I am not just partial because I am a February baby. I think it is the perfect time. You are biggest through the winter, so you can hide under all those extra clothes, and you are never too cold....or too hot. You get to eat whatever you want through the holidays. The baby is born right before RSV season starts, so they are not teeny tiny during it. The baby is big enough by Spring to take out and enjoy the weather. You have time to lose those pesky pounds before swim suit season. My February baby was by far my best...as far as timing goes.
Good Luck with your decision!!!
I love the spring babies (or early summer) because being huge during the heat of the summer is just plain miserable! And I like having kids out of school to help, and it is less hectic for me when I don't have to deal with getting them ready for school, homework, etc. I just LOVE summer with babies!
Winter babies are fun to bundle, but you get to worry like crazy about R.S.V. and other gunk. That is enough to make me one insane mommy.
Fall babies are good, but then you are miserable through the summer while you are pregnant. And then they are still small enough that you have to worry about the winter illnesses. Ick.
Oh, and one more thought. I like late spring babies because that makes them younger in their school classes, which could be to your advantage as a parent when they are in high school. That is less time in high school dating, driving, etc. Just my two cents!
Bottom line: Babies are awesome no matter when they come! But I hear you on wanting to plan things. I'm the same way.
i've only had 2 spring babies. the first one i loved b/c it was so nice outside after (in MA) and we could get out and go on walks w/o being around a bunch of germy people, but the 2nd one i wouldn't have chosen b/c of my ppd and being stuck inside in the heat here in arizona. if i could choose now, in arizona, i'd choose fall or winter because it is so nice out then. either way, i'm so excited for you to plan for it!
Post a Comment