I'm an old-fashioned girl, and there is something about seeing these roads that takes me back one hundred years; I can just about see strong, broad horses pulling their carriages along the way. From there I can see into the farmhouse, with a woman standing at the counter rolling out pie crusts, her sleeves rolled up to her elbows, and her apron neatly tied around her waist. I can smell the wood burning in the stove, the spice of the cinnamon and nutmeg, and the floors she just cleaned that morning. The barn is there too, red of course, but slightly faded. I imagine barn dances, evening strolls, and little red schoolhouses.
All of this evokes in me such nostalgia for things past, that I think it's why when we started looking for lots to build on, I was naturally drawn out into the country, where I could have my own country road.
This is the road I live on...
Today the weather was so beautiful, that we decided to go a couple miles down the road to the city forest for a bike ride. The scenery was breathtaking, and I couldn't help but take pictures of the most amazing bridge, which is in the first picture I showed, and this last one:
I guess it explains why Anne of Green Gables is my favorite movie ever. :)
15 comments:
You must've liked Little House on the Prairie too (younger years)?
Just a guess...
I loved Anne of Green Gables in my pre-teen years. So, I'm with you on the country roads...
I'm also in love with everything country, especially those roads that are covered with fall leaves because there isn't a lot of traffic. I just love your pictures!!
Absolutely beautiful pictures! I LOVE our town!!! There is just something so nostalgic and cozy about fall. I can't resist days like this!
I loved that movie took, but it isn't my favorite. My favorite movie was called Yours mine and ours with Henry Fonda and Lucilla Ball. Really funny! Sound of Music came in second. I guess this is why I married a German. OH, by the way, you do not need stiches or a broken arm. You guys have been through your share of excitement with Ryan and getting the girls.
I can't believe you just said that Anne of Green Gables is your favorite movie. When you put those pictures up, that is exactly what came to mind and I thought, "She could be my 'Bosom Friend.'"
Those pictures are amazing. I was raised in a tiny town and miss it.
I love your new picture on your profile as well. You are gorgeous!
Can we have an Anne of Green Gables marathon soon, please!!!! Your pics are Beautiful!
That is beautiful! I love small towns, ghost towns and anything country as well. Anne of Green Gables waa a favorite of mine too!
Tall trees--ahh. I would love some of those in my little corner of barren boxy suburbia.
great pics!! I loved growing up in the country with roads all around and tons of land.
Kierste - I love your new picture. And if you haven't already, it sounds like you should read A Lantern in Her Hand... Old fashioned book about a christian pioneer woman. I really liked it. What a gorgeous country road to live on... your dreams are coming true, and I'm so happy for you =)
Your pictures are wonderful. Fall is such a beautiful time of year, eh???
What beautiful pictures and a well written post. I LOVE this neighborhood and I am so glad that you are enjoying it as well. I hope the leaves hang on for as long as possible!
That scenery is beautiful. I am longing to live on your street now. I love those pictures of the bridge. I have always been an old country road kind of gal myself. I love the peacefulness of it. By the way I am singing John Denver right now. LOL
beautiful! I too hope to live some where like that one day!
What great pictures! I love the road you live on - so pretty right now.
oh, those pics make me so homesick for MA! i miss the fall.
Post a Comment