Sunday, October 19, 2008

{pumpkin carving party}

We held our first ever pumpkin carving party yesterday, and it was a definite success. We invited a few families over for the festivities, which included carving outside on the picnic tables, eating yummy soups, breads, and adorable ghost & bug cookies, sitting by the fire and roasting marshmallows, and jumping in the leaves. The weather was perfect, and it was so fun to see all the kids running around having such a great time. We have already decided this will be a yearly tradition!

.....

Getting all the guts out!




I put the girls to work coloring their pumpkins on their own little table. It kept them happy, busy, and let them do something on their own. They went to town, and loved every minute of it. Best of all, those washable markers really are washable!




We had just raked all the leaves that day, and Rick left one big pile just perfect for jumping and playing in.


Ta-da!


And what comes after the pumpkin carving? Toasted pumpkin seeds, of course! I will be busy washing and sorting seeds tomorrow, in eager anticipation of this yummy snack. Here are my favorite recipes:

TOASTED CINNAMON & SUGAR PUMPKIN SEEDS

2 c. pumpkin seeds
2-3 T. butter, melted
cinnamon & sugar

Wash seeds well. Boil seeds in a small amount of water in a medium saucepan for 10 minutes. Spread out evenly on aluminum foil and dry well. Toss the dry seeds in the butter, then coat with cinnamon & sugar. Spread out on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 225 degrees for approximately 1-1.5 hours or until toasted brown.

TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS

2 c. pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. butter, melted
1 1/4 tsp. seasoning salt (or table salt, if preferred)

Follow same directions as above.

ENJOY!!

11 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I never thought of putting cinnamon and sugar on pumkin seeds. Yummy! Cute front door decorations. Looks like you are having a fabulous fall.

Yvonne said...

Looks like such great fun.

Thanks for the recipe for pumpkin seeds.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Fun! We used to have a big family pumpkin carving party every year, but all the others have moved away. Maybe I should invite friends and continue the tradition.

Our Family Adventures said...

So Much Fun!!!! I have got to try the pumpkin seed recipes :)

Carn Family said...

Thanks for opening your home to us...what a fun night! I can't wait to try the pumpkin seeds. Maybe my fear of pumpkin seeds + morning sickness will end this year!

lyn said...

That looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

What a fun thing to do. I never thought of inviting neighbors over to do it also.

Barbara said...

I love pumpkin seeds. I have soaked them in salt water over night before and then baked them, but never boiled them first. Last night I boiled them in salt water and now just baking them. So far that method is working great. I would like to try your recipes also. But I have a question for you ... anyone ... do you eat the shell of the pumpking seed, or do you crack them open like sunflower seeds? I enjoy the taste with or without the shell, but it sure seems like a lot of shell!

sheri said...

So, so fun! I love that it truly looks like fall there. We had the a/c on today. Grrr...

Megs said...

I love your pumpkins. We will be doing ours soon. I love this time of year. So many things to do with the kiddos.

That lotion contastrophy is one that is probably going to happen at my home. Lotion is everywhere! (including 72 hr kit, could you imagine if you didn't have it in a crisis. I would sit in the corner with my fists clenched together.)

bluestocking mama said...

how fun! i want to live by you!

Post a Comment