Thursday, October 2, 2008

{time and a season}

I know, it's been over a week, since I posted, but I have a very good reason. :) My sister and her 13 month old little boy have been here for the past week, and we have been so busy I haven't had a chance to be online much.

It has been such a great week, but we realized this week how much our lives have changed. Most of our time has been spent caring for our three little ones--feeding (a lot!), changing diapers, entertaining, and just trying to keep things at a dull roar. We have one that doesn't sleep very well and is still adjusting to a different time zone, another that likes to escape her bed 15 times a night, a couple that are having a hard time sharing their mom and their toys, and three that are absolutely adorable.

We have managed to do a little shopping, make a midnight run for treats (have you tried the Bacardi frozen concentrate mixers??? They are AMAZING!!! I'm totally addicted!), and are planning a dinner and movie Friday night. We have bonded during nap times, read books, made dinner, shopped online, shared ideas, and LAUGHED. A lot.

We were reminiscing about a visit she made right before the girls were born. She wasn't married yet, and Ryan was in school all day. We slept in, laid in bed watching movies and reading, had Rick bring us ice cream and treats, and pretty much relaxed the whole week. She even pushed me around Target in a wheelchair (I was on bed rest, and technically not supposed to be out of bed), and we shopped as long as we wanted to!

It's a far cry from what this week has entailed, but do you know, I have enjoyed it just as much. We are sharing our biggest commonality, and what we love the most in this world--our kids, and the opportunity we have to be mothers. We understand each other and what we are going through--the good, the very good, the bad, the hard, the frustrating, the rewarding, the tiredness, and the joy.

I suppose our visits will be like this for quite few more years, but one day we will be sitting together, remembering these times, and wishing that somehow we could have a little piece of what used to be.

Henry--he is absolutely adorable!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

how fun!!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Fun! I wish my kids had cousins (close in age or even at all)!

Jana said...

Sisters are the best!!

Our Family Adventures said...

He is SO adorable! I am so glad you are having such a great time :)!!

Stephanie Lowe said...

I love when sister's come to visit! It's easy to feel like giddy teenagers...even with cute kids running around! So fun!

Carn Family said...

What fun to have a sister to go through changes in life with. Your post made me miss my sister terribly. I am so glad that you have had such a wonderful visit with her!

Yvonne said...

So fun--enjoy each and every moment together.

smart mama said...

so fun- bask in it

Cutie Pies said...

I know what you mean. It seems like all of the sudden I have so many things in common with my sister. It's fun to share these times.

Post a Comment